# If Goanet stops reaching you, contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]          #
# Want to check the archives? http://www.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet/    #
# Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others  #

Goa CM defends govt's decision to organise IFFI :

Panaji, Dec 6, 2004 : Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar today dismissed
criticism of his government's decision to host the International Film Festival
of India (IFFI), saying "any society which is advanced and mature should spend
some time and money on leisure activities." He was reacting to pop singer Remo
Fernandes' reported criticism of the government for giving priority to films
when poverty and unemployment had not been eradicated from the tiny coastal
state.

"I agree with Remo that all these things are also important, but the only
difference is that I have already done this," the Chief Minister said while
interacting with the delegates at IFFI here today.

"Just because we have not achieved 100 per cent target in education or health,
should we not concentrate on films?" he said, adding "you see only the
infrastructure that we have built in Panaji, but at this very moment 200
schools are being renovated in the interiors of the state." Assuring that Goa
would have a film festival in another 370 days, Parrikar said, he would make
all efforts to rectify mistakes that might have been made this time.

He also urged all those participating to give their inputs so that "we can make
it even more better next time". PTI

- Forwarded by AlmeidaG(ji)