Gilbert Lawrence responds: Hi George, I am not going to take your statement, "We can benefit from your insights" too seriously. But while I thank you for your comments, I am not thrilled in writing this post. But here are my two cents, as you specifically requested it. My factual knowledge as a Diaspora Goan of the Goa Catholic church is no more than the church in Kerala, Bengal, Kenya or Uganda- Zippo! So I have no ax to grind. I am analyzing your posts on its merits. Both your posts on this thread and others on Goa's Catholic Church have very little factual information. There's another guy across the Atlantic who does the same.
You are claiming that the US Catholic church has a problem; so the Goa church has the same problem. And they should come forward, admit and evaluate it. This is called guilt by association. And the Church is 'guilty until proven otherwise'. And after the inquiry, ..... It's why the scrutiny? ..... And then .... The investigation was a cover-up. IMHO, your inquiry to the Goa church got the response it deserved. It's like ME SUGGESTING TO YOU: You should conduct an investigation of sexual misconduct at your college or place of work, because similar incidents are reported in other colleges / work sites in USA! While you are quoting the case in California, I can forward you the story in our newspaper, where the priest was vindicated. Now where does he go to recoup his honor? While I do not know all details in Boston, I am likely to believe some of it is true. But it is also true that the man who brought the original allegations committed suicide. Of course his lawyers are still enjoying the winter in the Bahamas. Just because some Goans somewhere in the world have extra-marital affairs, or other sexual transgressions, should all Goans be investigated to satisfy the paranoia of their spouses or the gossip of others? If you know of a specific case, you should take it to the appropriate Church authorities. This would be a more appropriate step, rather than use this public forum to make allegations or for a minimum wild insinuations. Did your frequent posts on this topic generate any private responses from 'Goan victims'? I would suggest (and hope you'd agree) that the Goa church should embark on education courses for priests (and nuns too) on sexual harassment. This does not mean there is a problem. But it can prevent one. A few years ago, in the USA with employees suing their bosses for sexual harassment, there was a push for such courses. We had to attend one of the 2-hour courses. Conclusion: "Don't be friendly with our staff. There are lots of employees and lawyers out there, just waiting to sue doctors and retire early at our expense". At my place of work, women and patients can and do embrace and hug the doctors. While we have to stand there like a scarecrow. Well, they like it and we love it! :=)) All kidding aside, we now have a glass wall between ourselves and our staff. And perhaps the same thing is going to happen between the priests, nuns and their congregation. As far as my insights, they are intended for you in a very friendly manner. I don't know how strong a Catholic you are. But could you have a 'pathological fixation' against the Church on this and on several other Church issues that you have publicized? Please do not hold it against me; I'm truly trying to help. Happy New Year to you and all the readers. Regards, Gilbert. George Pinto: You are right, Goa-related topics are important. Please offer your comments on the Goa-related topic below. Not on the specific Ribandar case as that matter is working its way through the legal system, but your comments on the overall situation in Goa vis-a-vis your experience of this situation in the USA. We can benefit from your insights. In connection with another post, Gilbert Lawrence wrote.... It is always enjoyable to read some factual informative stories about Goa rather than the never-ending posts on ABSOLUTELY non-Goa related topics. George Pinto: I believe you (Aires) wrote at least once there are other cases of sexual abuse by the clergy in Goa. I had written to the Archdiocese twice and did not get a response. Is there a formal study done in Goa regarding this issue? I hope the Goa church is not turning a blind eye or burying their head in the sands. In the USA, we witnessed the tremendous harm done to the victims and innocent priests two years with a similar scandal. The Church's silence and denial finally took the issue to the courts and matters are now settled with huge monetary sums - some of it could have been avoided. Just today, another settlement here in California. I hope the Goa Church is not going down the same path. I notice very few are asking for transparency and a public report. This way everyone can avoid speculation and gossip. When the Church sex abuse scandal first broke in the USA, innocent priests were walking around "convicted by association" simply by being a priest. It is not fair to the priests or the victims. I am hoping there is formal investigation and study in Goa and the findings made public. The laity have a right to know if the problem is pervasive or isolated or non-existent. Regards,
