I wish to correct two factual errors which crept into my piece on Goan Dance Bands of Yesteryear.
1. There was a typing error in the name of one of the groups I mentioned. The correct spelling is/was SHIFTARS and not Shiftas.
2. I had said that the above group was led by Philip Mascarenhas when it was in fact led by his brother Benny. However, by way of a little further information, I had got to know four brothers from this family, all of whom were gifted musicians. They were Lambert (violin), Leslie, who especially excelled at playing Eddie Calvert numbers on the trumpet, Philip (trumpet) and Benny (lead guitar).

In my piece, I had also asked for any info on Goan bands in Mombasa before my time there. I am therefore grateful to Mr Lupino de Mello's response from Canberra, Australia, for the names of two bands: Ramos and his Melody Makers (1942-48); and of Orpheus ( 1955-57) led by Louis Pires. Of all the bands mentioned, the only one that continues to survive, since 1957, is Edmund Silveira's trio which has had a large number playing for him, at different times, over the years.
Cornel