New twist in Goa numbers game

http://in.rediff.com/news/2005/jan/31goa.htm
January 31, 2005 10:59 IST

The political numbers game in Goa on Monday morning
took an interesting turn when the lone United Goa
Democratic Party MLA and Tourism Minister Mathany
Saldhana declared his "unconditional support" to the
crisis-stricken Bharatiya Janata Party government.

Saldhana, who was in Spain when the opposition
Congress began pulling strings to bring the government
down on Saturday last, arrived in Panaji this morning.
He later appeared at a press conference with Chief
Minister Manohar Parrikar and declared his support to
the government.

"I am not a weather-cock to keep changing sides.
Politics is not a power game for me," he said.

The Congress staked claim to form government in Goa
after four BJP MLAs - Micky Pacheco, Pandurang
Madkaikar, Babush Babush Monserette, and Isidore
Fernandez -- quit the party, bringing down the BJP's
strength to 17.

Public Works Minister Sudin Dhawalikar of the
Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party and Water Resources
Minister Philip Neri Rodrigues, an Independent, also
withdrew their support to the government.

While the UGDP also sent a letter to Governor S C
Jameer withdrawing support to the Manohar Parrikar
government, Saldhana on Monday claimed he was not
consulted.

Saldhana is UGDP's lone representative in the state
assembly.

- Forwarded by www.goa-world.com