[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

G o a n e t - N e w s   B y t e s  MARCH 05, 2005  DATELINE: GOA

  ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____
 ||g |||o |||a |||n |||e |||t ||   Issue compiled by
 ||__|||__|||__|||__|||__|||__||   Frederick Noronha
 |/__\|/__\|/__\|/__\|/__\|/__\|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-news         Goanet-News Archives
http://www.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet              Goanet Archives

(c) Goanet 2005 Creative Commons -- http://www.creativecommons.org Feel free
to reproduce this compilation in its entirety, with all credits retained.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

o Centre imposes President's rule in Goa (NT)
o Assembly kept in suspended animation (H)
o State Congress leaders express discontent (H)

        o Congress government will be revived soon: Luizinho (NT)
        o Rane wins trust vote (NT)
        o Rane's floor-test win short-lived. (H)

o Matanhy moves high court; plea not admitted (NT)
o Neri may challenge his disqualification in high court (NT)

o We want dissolution of House, says BJP (NT)
o Delhi rule a moral victory, says Parrikar (H)

o BJP supporters go berserk (NT) See details at
  http://puggy.symonds.net/pipermail/goajourno/2005-March/001927.html
o BJP 'army' on the rampage; Governor's vehicle damaged outside Raj Bhavan
  BJP goons attack Gomantak Times lensman, snatch and
  destroy camera. (GT)

SPORTS

NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE: Mahindra clashes with Sporting, Saturday. (GT)
WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Manipur blank Goa 3-0, to enter finals at Imphal. (GT)
SCHOOL CHRICKET: Institute of Instruction excels in Under-17 cricket.(GT)

        o St Micheal Goa Velha beat Bambolim United 3-1 to
          win the Joaquim Socorro all-Goa one-day seven-a-side
          football organised at Bambolim.
        o Rumba Youth Curtorim will organise all-Goa two-a-side
          football tiebreaker on March 5 at Curtorim.
        o One-a-side tie-breaker at Cortalim First Arvalle
          on Sunday at 6.30 pm.
        o Vizag beat Mormugao 3-0 in the all India major ports
          table tennis.
        o Yes Group of Tiska Usgao will organise their all-Goa
          floodlight tennisball tourney on March 10-12 near MRF.
        o Rainbow Sports Priol will organise their all-Goa
          tennis-ball cricket on March 6.
        o Bandora tennis ball at Bandora, March 4-6.
        o Shanta Young Stars Kavlem to organise all-Goa
          tenniss ball tourney March 6-13 at Kavlem.

OBITUARY COLUMNS: KEEPING TRACK OF THOSE WHO LEFT US

o ANJUNA-MAZALVADDO AND EX-7UP KUWAIT: Reggie Isidoro Almeida,
  b 1932. Son of late John Vincent and Maria Sabina Almeida,
  son-in-law of late Manuel and Libinia Araujo (Neura),
  husband of Alba Araujo e Almeida. Father/in-law of
  Alwyn/Kavita, Richie (MSC Cruise Liner)/Vency, Cynthia/
  Francis, brother/in-law of Rita/late Bruno D'Souza (Mapusa),
  Anthony/Virginia, late Joe/Jessie (Mapusa), Leena/Mathias
  Fernandes (Siolim), brother-in-law of Domnic/Gracy Araujo
  (Neura), granddad of Aska, Ruvella, Canville and Clarissa.
  Funeral from Alrecy Mazalvaddo, March 5, 3.15 pm for St Michael's

o ALDONA-GONCOI: Agnelo Victor Francis Lobo, b 1949.
  Son of late Victor Romeo/Anna B Lobo (Felly), husband of
  Joanita (Bombay), father of Adrian and Jovita, brother/
  in-law of Accasio/Franskin Lobo (UK) and Rosy/Julius
  Esteberio (Bombay). Uncle of valran, Acqline, Ancy,
  Verance and Valeri. Died under tragic circumstances on
  Feb 27. Funeral on March 5 at 3.45 pm to St Thomas Church.

o CARMONA-XETMALEM: Oliveiro Antonio Jorge b 1940.
  Son of late Inacinho/Escolante Jorge, husband of
  Judith, father of Inacinho and Olson, brother of
  Sofia/late Dioguinho, Juliet/Bernado, uncle of Alexander/
  Maxcy, Roswell/Lena, Alvernaz/Debbi, Sandra/Caitan,
  Nixon, brother-in-law of Fatima/late Cruz, Sara/late Joao
  Menino, Sr Fermina (St Theresa's HS Vasco), and
  Natividade. Expired under tragic circumstances, March 3.
  Funeral March 4, 3.30 pm to OL of Succour Church.

o KAVLEM MUTH: Shrimad Sachidanand Saraswati Swamiji
  of Shri Saunsthan Gaudpadacharya Muth, Kavlem, Goa.

o MARGAO-MUMBAI: Sr Mary Amata da Cruz, died in Mumbai
  on Feb 3. Mass at OL of Grace Church, Margao
  on March 5 at 4.45 pm

o MARGAO-AQUEM: Digambar Vinayak Juwarkar, expired
  suddenly on March 4. Husband of Urmila, father of
  Disha and Pranav. Son of late Vinayak and late Hirabai
  Juwarkar of Goa Velha. Brother/in-lw of Mohini/late
  Kashinath Broker, Kishori/Ghanashyam Pai Raikar,
  Vallabh/Bharati, Shripad/Snehalata, Lata/Pramod Mopkar,
  Nalini/Ramesh Konkar, Nita/Rajan Gaitonde,
  Ulka/Govind Panvelkar, son-in-law of Yeshwant
  and Tarabai Prabhudessai and brother-in-law of
  Raghuvir (Santosh), Nitin and Hardish Prabhudesai.
  Funeral March 5, 11 am to Margao Cremetorium.
  No condolences visits please

o MARGAO-PAJIFOND: Digamber V Juwarker, junior engineer,
  died on March 4, 2005.

o SIOLIM/GERMANY: Yvonne Sa Raimundo de Souza. Wife of Dr
  Francis Anthony Paul, mother/in-law of Esther/Justice Thorsten
  and Dr Gideon/Maria. Grandmum of Mark Reuven and Benedikt
  Johannes. Daughter/in-law of late Dr Macario/late Teresa
  Raimundo and late Napolean/late Regina de Sousa. Sister/
  in-law of Dr Hugo/Molly Raimundo, Ligia/Irineu Furtado,
  Carmen/Norman Viegas, Dr Ivo/Ivete Raimundo, Lira/Rollin
  Mendonca, Dr Ivete/Dr Tony Pinto, Fatima/Neville
  Saldanha, Milena/Pio de Sousa, Lourdes/Joe Cordeiro,
  sister-in-law of Dr Elvira/late Dr Manuel Dias, Zenia/
  Joe Fernandes, Lucretia/late Fredolino Barreto, Helen/
  Tony Fernandes, expired in Germany on Feb 25.
  Funeral in Germany on March 5. Memorial mass on same
  day at 4.30 pm at St Anthony's Church, Siolim. No condolences pl.

o RIBANDAR-FONDVEM: Maria Quiteria Rodrigues. Wife of late
  Gaspar Rodrigues, mother/in-law of Sara (Emilia) Savio,
  grandmum of Valencia and sister-in-law of late Maria Santana/
  late Joao, Emilia/late Valentino, Martinha, Espicioza/late
  Inacino, Joao/Valinda, aunt of Renny and late Manuela.
  Funeral March 5 to Our Lady of Help (Ajuda) Ribandar.

IT'S HAPPENING IN GOA: The launch of The Little Tree

BINDU VAZ <vaz_bindu at rediffmail.com> REPORTS: 12 children from Saligao
and Porvorim -- the youngest two-and-half and the oldest 10
--  and 10 adults in tow equipped with binoculars and a whole lot of
enthusiasm trekked on the plateau of Porvorim (near Paithona) to launch The
Little Tree.  February 26 was an ordinary Saturday for anyone else, but not
for these children; who were introduced to a new hobby -- bird-watching! And
they took to it like professional 'ornithologists'!

The Little Tree is a group of individuals who dream of making the citizens
of tomorrow environmentally aware.  Time and again we have heard the
complaint from environmental activists that teaching adults to be
environmentally friendly is an uphill task because they are so apathetic to
the issue.

Be it to "sort garbage" before throwing in the bin, or "use less plastic
bags" or "save water" -- getting adults interested and take action on such
issues is extremely difficult and every environmentalist will tell you this
truth. So, we decided to start a "little early" by taking children out on
treks and camps so that they start by appreciating nature in all its
splendor.

There were three rules that were to be followed (although some adults
flaunted these rules to probably teach their children a good measure of
rebelliousness!) The first was no one was allowed to bring plastic bags to
carry snacks.  The second was none could bring paper napkins and the third
rule was that water was to be carried in recyclable bottles and not
disposable PET bottles.

        Rahul Alwares and his friend Nitin took time off their schedules to
        guide the trek and teach the children about different birds.  We
        spotted some exotic birds like "racquet-tailed drango" and
        "orange-breasted yellow pigeons" and some ordinary ones like the
        Indian robin and Brahmini Kites. And you would have been impressed
        if these names were rattled off by six year olds!

IT'S HAPPENING OVERSEAS: Goa Sudharop touches five

George Pinto <georgejpinto at yahoo.com> conveys a message from The Board of
Directors Goa Sudharop, http://www.goasudharop.org:

We are pleased to celebrate our fifth-year anniversary this year and have
planned some important events over the July 4th weekend. This celebration
will be held in the San Francisco Bay Area and we invite Goans from North
America and around the world to attend.  Non-Goans are most welcome too.
Details to follow. Please mark your calendars and plan to be in the San
Francisco Bay Area during the July 4th weekend.

We intend to have a variety of meaningful events, including some fun-filled
activities for all ages. You don't want to miss this opportunity to have a
good time, meet Goans from around the world, learn about Goan history and
culture, and identify opportunities in various fields as they relate to Goa.
We will also focus on our 2005 theme: Year of the Goan Child. We look
forward to seeing you at Goa Sudharop's fifth-year anniversary celebration
and our "Get to Know Goa" July 4th weekend event. Thank you for your
support.

2005: Year of the Goan Child

We need your help to promote Goanet, a volunteer-driven network:

Discuss the news. Send your views to goanet@goanet.org

                                                   ._|
      _|
  _|_|

IF YOU THINK Goanet needs improvement, tell us! If you think Goanet is worth
being a part of -- tell others!