http://www.hindu.com/2005/04/30/stories/2005043017690300.htm

Capturing the essence of the Goan culture

Staff Reporter

Writer Shashi Deshpande said: `The book shows us the life beyond the pictures presented to us as Goa.'

BANGALORE: A reading of Maria Aurora Couto's book "Goa: A daughter's story" here on Friday was an occasion for the city's bibliophiles to dwell deep into literary territory.

Their journey was assisted amply by the likes of Girish Karnad, playwright, and Shashi Deshpande, writer.

Organised by the Karnataka Goan Association, the book reading started off with Mr. Karnad and Ms. Deshpande giving an introduction of the book and its author.

They both began by remembering the days they had spent in the company of the author.

Keeping in mind the context of the book, Mr. Karnad began by stating that everyone has to face history as it is. It was sad, he said, that in India history is always portrayed as nothing but a grievance.

Ms. Deshpande referred the book as the third face of the author, the first two being Maria Aurora and the other Maria Aurora Couto.

She said that the book was in a way the biography of the author herself. "The book shows us the life beyond the pictures presented to us as Goa," she said.

In her speech, the author talked about her anger against the stereotypes, the ignorance and misinterpretation of all that was Goa.

"This book is the whole experience of my life, I have tried to capture the essence of Goan culture here," she said.

"The women of Goa are confident. I would have liked to talk more about them in my book but could not," she said.

The event also focussed on the idea of a Hindu Goa and Christian Goa with related readings from the book.