Message: 7
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 17:49:04 +1000 (EST)
From: Gabriel de Figueiredo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Goanet]One more Goan Bishop!
To: goanet@goanet.org

--- Salus Correia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

He appointed Fr. Anthony Alwyn Fernandes Barreto of the clergy of Poona, pastor of the parish of the Immaculate Conception in Vengurla, as bishop of the new diocese. The bishop-elect was born in Goa-Damao, India in 1952 and ordained a priest in 1979.

The statement re place of birth is incorrect, as in
1952, Goa-Damao was not in the Republic of India, but
was the then-called Estado da India Portuguesa.

Cheers,

Gabriel de Figueiredo.
Melbourne - Australia.

Gabriel,

Maybe what you say is right, but all I did was to quote from the Vatican News Service, word for word. Secondly, I dont think it is relevant at all. Goa has been and always will be a part of the Indian subcontinent.
best!

Salus