My dear Cynthia, I understand you so copiously commiserating with the heroic, self-sacrificing Indians as Victory Kranti.
I do not wish to cause your sorrowing heart to bleed further for the sacrifice those of my ilk, and I, ofered, in the same war for complementing poor little Red B. Shastriji's call: Fraternity of Fools, at the height of its civic-social-political-national consciousness at the time went out with a clarion call: HELP OUR DARLING BHARAT MATA: MISS A JUMP A WEEK. How many million souls were thus eschewed from being added to India's multitude has never been meticulously computed, but suffice it that the world population census for some time subsequent to this period volubly enthused about how population growth in the sub-continent had been so statistically stringent during the period coincident with the Fraternity of Fools' campaign for these noble national causes. Yours, ever in laudable Folly, Alfred de Tavares, Chancellor, Fraternity of Fools. >From: "Cynthia Fernandes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > > >Jai Hind :) >Dear Friends, > >"In the middle of 1965 India-Pakistan war, US govt - then a close >friend of Pakistan - threatened India with stopping food-aid (remember >"PL-480"?). For a food deficient India this threat was serious and >humiliating. So much so that in the middle of war, Prime Minister >(Late) Lal Bahadur Shastri went to Ram Leela Grounds in Delhi and >appealed to each Indian to observe one-meal-fast every week to answer the >American threat. As a school boy, I joined those millions who >responded to Shastri ji's call. I continued the fast even when the war was >over and India became self sufficient in food. Hurt deep by the >national humiliation suffered at the hands of the US govt, I had vowed to >stop my weekly fast only when India starts giving aid to USA.
