|    Goanetters annual meet in Goa is scheduled for Dec 27, 2005 @ 4pm   |
|The Riviera Opposite Hotel Mandovi, Panjim (near Ferry Jetty/Riverfront)|
|         Attending.......drop a line to [EMAIL PROTECTED]            |
Horseshoe crab: MoEF promises prompt action
EXPRESS NEWS SERVICE

NEW DELHI, DECEMBER 25: Breaking its silence over the future of the
endangered Horseshoe crab, the Ministry of Environment and Forest has
promised prompt action to protect one of the earth's oldest survivors.
''We have received communications from the S&T ministry.  Unfortunately,
there is no status study yet on horseshoe crabs. We will initiate work
soon and, unless any other agency comes forward, will involve the
Wildlife Institute of India for the purpose. Once we have the report, we
will put the horseshoe crab in an appropriate schedule,'' Director
General (Wildlife) RP Katyal said.

The Indian Express had on December 21 reported how the MoEF was sitting
on a proposal by Science and technology Minister Kapil Sibal to include
the crab that has survived 16 ice ages, in Schedule IV to ensure
protection and research. Claiming it would involve research along the
entire coastline, Katyal initially said a status report might take
anything between six months to two years. Told that the dwindling crab
population of just 3,000 found at a pocket along the Orissa coast, may
become critically endangered by that time, he opened up: ''It's true we
don't have much information about horseshoe crabs yet. We can certainly
benefit by the work done by the CSIR scientists at Goa and Pune. We will
also like to see the film made by Mike Pandey.'' Mike Pandey, whose
landmark film - Timeless Traveller - on horseshoe crabs has won nine top
international awards, expressed satisfaction.  ''We make these films to
generate awareness and save the species.  The policy-makers are welcome
to watch these. But I would be happier if these films are also shown to
the masses in national television,'' he said.

Speaking from Goa's National Institute of Oceanography, Dr Anil
Chatterjee, who is researching on horseshoe crabs for years, offered all
help to the MoEF. ''We will certainly help to accelerate any process
that secures the future of this unique creature,'' he said.  At Goa lab,
nine patents are filed and scientists are at the threshold of some
path-breaking discoveries. Though being bred in labs at Goa, the absence
of legal protection and the fact that they take about 10-12 years to
reach sexual maturity, the horseshoe crabs face danger of extinction in
India.

|                    Goa - 2005 Santosh Trophy Champions                 |
|      Support Soccer Activities at the grassroots in our villages       |
|  Vacationing in Goa this year-end - Carry and distribute Soccer Balls  |