Sony, Zee in talks with de Goa
Kolkata newsline
Sudeep Pakrashi

Kolkata, January 23: Addressing club representatives during a meeting on
the National Football League (NFL) last year, the All India Football
Federation (AIFF) president Priya Ranjan Das Munshi assured that he
would help participants in need of financial assistance, by trying to
find sponsors for them, before the commencement of the League this
season. And, it is learnt that Das Munshi has been trying to look for
sponsors for a city-based League participant.

Meanwhile, another outfit which finished in the second position, in the
NFL last year, has sent an official request letter to the AIFF
president, seeking his help to find a sponsor. And, Sporting Clube de
Goa president Peter Vas, when asked about the issue, informed Newsline
that his request was turned down. "Mr Das Munshi said that he is not
sitting on the Federation president's chair to look for sponsors for the
clubs and that the clubs will have to help themselves," Vas said.

As a result, the Goan club is desperately trying to finalise a sponsor
by the end of the first phase of the NFL. Meanwhile, the club top brass
has received regret letters from Thomas Cook and Sahara. Not giving up
on hope, the club has begun negotiations with Sony and Zee Sports.

Vas said: "In recent times, most of the clubs participating in the
League have managed sponsorships following some kind of equation with
the political leaders. But, it's not possible for us to do the same."

Incidentally, the club which came into prominence only during the last
two years, is trying to start its youth development programme.  Their
Nigerian coach Cliford Chukuwama, in his third year with the team, has
spotted four under-20 promising players with whom he has started
training at the club ground. Chukuwama said: "I am preparing them for
the next season, as I am optimistic that two among the four will be seen
with the senior team in the next NFL." Chukuwama also has something
lined up for the senior players. "We were supposed to participate in an
invitation tournament in Maldives in December last year. But the
tournament got postponed to January, and now with the League in
progress, how can we take part there? But I have received an invitation
from a premier Nigerian club team which wants to play friendlies in
India," the coach said.