|                  Read V.M. de Malar's latest Column:                   |
|                          Politics of Destruction                       |
|     http://www.goanet.org/index.php?name=News&file=article&sidA6     |

Priests and non-Catholics in Goa/India

This post in prompted by a couple of posts on Goanet in the wake of Fr.
Eusebio Ferrao¹s murder. Some posts on Goanet give an indication that the
writers/posters are unfamiliar about life in Goa, in general, and
particularly about life and ministry of the Church in Goa.

Granted, no one is perfect, and more so the priests are not perfect;
although they invite others, by virtue of their vocation, to perfection and
holiness; priests hope and expect that in the process of inviting others
that they too will move on in the journey of their holiness/perfection. It
is work in progress for all.

Priests in Goa, and in the rest of India, actively socialize and work as
good collaborators with non-Catholics, be they Hindu, Muslim, Sikh or of any
other religion. They too come to the priests to seek assistance, guidance
and support. The Church in the villages is not just a place for Catholics,
but a public square for all villagers of all stripes. The Church square in
the villages serves a marvelous function to gather and build the community
of people with its myriad activities, be the plays/social functions, sports,
health related programs, etcŠ The Church¹ schools in all villages in
Goa/India are places where everyone melds as one village community grounded
in tolerance and respect for each other at the deepest level. Priests in
Goa/India have wonderful and rich friendships with many non-Catholics be
they males or females.  May be this is the secret, which has nourished the
legendary harmony we all brag about in Goa. Many non-Catholic friends have
been and are staunch and genuine supporters of many common-good activities
initiated by the priests. When this legendary harmony, built painstakingly
block by block, is shattered by ugly incidents, we mourn for the demise of
the ethic of our society.

Yes, and thank the good Lord for that, in Goa and in India very frequently
priests, and  many people in the villages, make room at their sparse dining
tables for non-Catholics and enjoy the solidarity and brotherhood and
sisterhood of common humanity, even when they arrive unannounced. Indeed,
they do not hesitate to provide shelter to those seeking a place to lay
their head and rest their tired bodies, without asking their religious
affiliation and place of origin.  The vaulted corridors of our Churches
provide at least a token of warmth. Almost all beneficiaries are grateful
for this act of compassion, and leave transformed (not proselytized) having
experienced humanity of another human, albeit a stranger.

May I suggest to our overseas living goans/NRI brethren, who have been away,
may be for too long, from their motherland, to take time and re-familiarize
with Goa/India, and  its authetic life lived in the lush villages of Goa. It
may surprise you that the priests in Goa, without pomp and circumstance,
with their warts and all, do a heck of a job not only for the Catholics, but
for the greater good of society.

Priests in Goa and in the rest of India do social work of all types, conduct
sports activities, build schools and community facilities, they run schools,
dispensaries, they educate, assist the unemployed to get jobs by putting a
good word or using their friendships, they mediate family disputes; and you
name it, they do, besides burying the dead, baptizing the infants, marrying
the marriage-ables, celebrating the eucharisy, and feats, etc. etc....

These priests are not perfect, and they need not need be perfect in order to
do good; Nonetheless they reach to anyone who seek to be reached, and in
fact at any time of the day or night. I hope this will not surprise those
who harbor a parochial notion of the life of the priests in Goa/India.
Basilio Monteiro