Most people ask the LIC Agents when they have to take up LIFE INSURANCE POLICY
and invariably the agents recommend policies wherein they get maximum
commission.

I strongly feel that LIC is only for risk cover and first one should take up
insurance policies without any bonus/money back schemes  wherin one pays
mimimum premium.

Article by Devang Shah is reproduced for GOA NET readers

My monthly salary is Rs 19,000.

With this, I have to take care of my parents, wife and baby.

 How must I manage my money? Where can I invest to save on tax?

 - Salim Sayyed

Dear Salim,

I have answered your queries under various heads.

Insurance

My first concern would be that, if you are bread earner, you must consider
covering your life. God forbid, but should something happen to you, your
family will be in a soup.

A simple term cover does not cost much and will provide at least some relief
to your dependents.

Do understand that pure term cover does not return any money if you outlive
the policy period. But it will cost you very little.

For instance, a Rs 10 lakh (Rs 1 million) cover for 20 years for a 35-year old
might come for under Rs 500 per month. So you just have to pay a few hundreds
a month. Should something happen to you, your family will get the money and
they can invest it for their future.

Liquidity

Secondly, you need to keep money aside for emergencies.

You could consider a bank fixed deposit or even a liquid fund such as the HDFC
Liquid fund.

Liquid funds are known as ultra short-term debt funds or cash funds that
invest in fixed return instruments of very short maturities. Their main aim is
to preserve the principal and earn a modest return. So, the money you invest
will eventually be returned to you with a little something added.

I am very aware that no amount of money is enough for emergencies. However,
for practical purposes, a few month's expenses could be a good place to start.

Tax saving

You have not mentioned anything concerning your investments or savings. So I
am assuming you are only starting out now to build your wealth. If that is the
case, you might not want to take very big risks.

The Public Provident Fund is not a bad place to get a decent return of 8% per
annum and also save taxes. But it locks up your money for 15 years.

The National Savings Certificate is for six years and also offers 8% per
annum. But, since the interest is taxed on maturity, the post-tax return is
less than the above.

Pension plans of insurance companies also saves taxes but are more complex to
evaluate and choose. They could also be expensive sometimes.

Investing

You may want to start out by gradually investing in mutual funds. Over the
long term, equity gives the best return. And, for those who are not stock
market savvy, the best route is by investing in a mutual fund where the fund
manager does the investing on your behalf.

For starters, you could invest in floating rate funds such as Templeton
Floating Rate Fund. These are funds that invest in instruments with a floating
interest rate as against a fixed interest rate. This will help you understand
how mutual funds work.

When the stock market drops, you will then be prepared to invest in a
diversified equity mutual fund.

Manoj Raikar