The NRI Meet in Dubai -- My Take (Part II and last)

by Eugene Correia

A student said she wanted to join the medical college
in Goa but she had to pay Rs 25 lakhs for admission. I
am not sure if she said these fees were for students
of NRI parents under NRI quota. Dourado joked that
paying so much would mean she won't have anything
remaining for her dowry. When Dourado began his
replies at the end of the question session, the
student was gone. He explained that there is now an
entrance test for all students, no matter what they
score at the exams. He said he would check with the
authorities and asked participants if they could
contact the student so he could get her email. A paper
was circulated to get each of the participants' email
but obviously she left before she could put her's
down.
Dourado, as quoted by the paper, slammed the visit of
previous NRI members, obviously the one led by Keni,
the chairman. No doubt Keni and other members came on
"invitation", but I didn't see any reason why Dourado
had to criticize the group. I think Dourado is
coveting Keni's post. Though Dourado and Keni, along
with the other members, owe it to the Parikar
government for being on the executive committee, I
don't know if Keni enjoyed or enjoys the BJP support.
Now that the political regime has changed and Dourado
being a Congressman, it won't be a surprise if Keni is
kicked out and Dourado takes his place.
>From my attendance of the 2005 Gomant Vishwa
Sammellan, I could see tensions between the Catholic
members and the Hindu members of the executive
committee. There was lot of backbiting. I wish anyone
who attended this year's convention could throw more
light on the proceedings. Maybe goanet carried some
posts on it and I obviously missed it. The Keni group
was entertained in Dubai by one of the goanetters who
is no longer active on this forum. I must say that the
informal gathering at the goanetter's place was much
cordial and interactive than the one that was
conducted by the Dourado group. There was the
secretary taking notes, unlike at this meeting where
all three were taking notes.
Brigadier D'Costa spoke saying that we must proceed
forward and lot look back. He said that as a soldier
he always keeps hopes. When I asked him in private
before the meeting on the general NRI scene in Goa, he
said there were some associations and they were
confusion among them.
Dourado also lectured on unity among NRI Goans, and at
one point remarked that "if there are three Goans,
there are four associations." This is hackneyed
remark. One of the participants suggested that NRGs
should form "pressure groups" to influence the
government. Well, the reason the NRI Facilitation
Centre is set up is precisely to act as a "pressure"
or "lobby" on behalf of NRGs. Besides, there's an
advisory committee, on which the Kuwait representative
is Wilson Coelho, who organized the meeting there.
There's one Joaquim D'Souza for Dubai, but he
obviously wasn't present at the meeting. No
information was given whether he was contacted by the
group, since it was Pravin who worked to put the meet
together.
These representatives are supposed to gather
complaints and forwarded it to the centre.
The Emirates Post reporter George asked Dourado if
they had contacted the Indian consulate, and Dourado
said no. I think if Dourado or Pravin had asked the
consulate for space to hold a meeting, I am sure it
would have been granted. George also said there is no
Goan officer in the consulate as there are from other
communities to deal with respective community groups
in Dubai. Dourado seemed amazed and said it could be a
coincidence that there are officers belonging to
different ethnic groups, as he had not aware that this
is the norm in selecting these officers. George is a
former media advisor to the Indian embassy in Abu
Dhabi.
When Dourado said that the "political scene" in Goa is
such there is corruption, George asked him if he could
go on record. Dourado tried to wriggle out of the
situation saying he has to tell the people the truth
but doesn't want to be quoted. He said that the media
wasn't invited for the meeting, and though George came
on his own will on reading about the meeting in the
Gulf News, Dourado welcomed him. He told George to
"understand" the situation when reporting about the
meeting.
It was George who suggested that the Goa government
think about starting a steamer service to meet the
demand of the NRGs since there is only an Air India
direct flight to Goa. The Indian Airlines fly to Goa
via Kerala. Dourado explained that the airlines being
commercial they would rightly seek to know the if it
was financial viable for the airlines to increase
direct flights, in the case of Air India, or start new
ones instead of going via Kerala. Dourado said he,
along with Dr. Willy, was responsible in having a
direct flight from Kuwait to Goa.
On the question of identity cards for NRGs, Dourado
said they should apply for PIO cards. I informed him
that PIO cards are only for those Indians who hold
foreign citizenships. So much for his knowledge of NRI
issues. Now that his two children are also NRIs,
having newly come to Dubai, Dourado may get a "family"
view of things in the emirate.
I doubt Dourado, and probably members of the
committee, have read the LM Sanghvi report on Indians
abroad. There's a full-fledged Overseas Ministry at
the centre, and I advise NRGs to follow any statements
or announcements from the ministry very carefully. Lot
of the problems that NRGs face are "generic" to other
NRIs from different states. This month the Telugus
(Andhra Pradesh) are having an NRI meeting in Dubai.
Pravin mentioned that there should be trust between
NRGs and the NRI Facilitation Centre. When I called
two people to come with me for the meeting, both said
they were not interested because they don't have trust
in such groups. After the meeting I called a
well-known Goan and asked him why he wasn't present.
He said he wanted to come but he had guests. He
further added that NRGs have learnt bitter lessons
from past experiences in getting involved with Goan
groups who come with ideas of setting up commercial
ventures. He said many NRGs have lost money. One of
those I contacted said he was not happy that Dourado
has leading this group, and informed me that he would
have joined me if Eduardo Faleiro was the leader or at
least a member of the group.
So much for trust in a leader like Dourado. For those
who don't know, Dourado is now running a trade union
in Vasco with most members belonging to the "migrant"
labour. The migrants who are in Vasco and mostly on
this Dabolim hill form Dourado's "vote bank", though I
am not sure if he will get a chance to run for the
assembly again on a Congress ticket.
He is also president of both the Goa men's and women's
hockey team. On my last visit to Goa, I had informal
talks with one top official of the Goa sports
department and I was informed that field hockey is
gone to the dogs in Goa.
I received a recent email for someone who is
knowledgeable in sports matter. And I quote, "hockey
in Goa is dead as a dodo for as long as I can possibly
remember, and Herculano Dourado is singularly
responsible for this. The Sports authority of Goa has
termed the Goa Hockey Association as defunct, but
beyond that can do nothing since Herculano enjoys
tremendous clout within the Indian Hockey Federation.
In India where politics and votes count, IHF president
KPS Gill can be assured of the lone Goan vote during
elections. It suits him not to disturb Herculano while
Goan hockey continues to suffer.
TA few individuals keep the game alive by conducting
tournaments here and there."
Sad commentary on a person who comes to lecture on
unity.
Furthermore, his running of the First Goan Youth
Convention was termed "dictatorial" by those who
attended the convention and were involved in the early
stages of the run-up to the convention. When I asked
him why he didn't submit the accounts to the
International Goan Organization, which had nominated
him when he came for the First International Goan
Convention in Toronto in 1988, he replied that if he
informs me that the youth convention was a loss would
the organizations such as the Goan Overseas
Association (GOA), based in Toronto, send the money. I
told him that's a secondary question, but he must
follow the norm.
At the youth convention a general body meeting of the
IGO, which was born at the 1988 convention, was held
and at the elections Dourado was elected
secretary-general defeating Zulema de Souza of
Toronto. I believe Dourado filled the meeting with his
supporters, most of them who were non-bona fide
members. From those who attended I learnt that Dourado
wanted the IGO secretariat to be permanently based in
Goa on the basis that the state is the home to all
Goans. Ultimately, the IGO was reconstituted and
relocated to Toronto. It's another story on how that
happened and how the IGO functions today that would
take lot of space to tell.
I was told that the government and many private
companies and people gave funds to organize the youth
convention. Probably some of the goanetters who
attended the event can share their experiences and
provide us with any inside knowledge they may have on
how it was funded.
Just imagine Dourado running the NRI Facilitation
Centre. Though there's an executive committee, a
monitoring committee and an advisory committee, I have
my fears that the centre under Dourado would serve his
own interests more than it would service those of the
NRGs. This is my gut feeling.
In this context, I would suggest the Goa government
disband the Parikar-appointed centre. Any further
initiative should come from Eduardo Faleiro, since he
enjoys cabinet rank status. Till Faleiro gets his
Terms of Reference and sets up a full functioning
office, the centre should be suspended. Faleiro needs
to build trust among NRGs. He is a politician alright,
but I think he carries more credibility than Dourado.
I have dwelled more on Dourado because it was he who
gave almost all replies while Brig. Ian D'Costa spoke
briefly at the start and made few points during the
proceedings, and Mohandas Surlakar proposed a vote of
thanks in Konkani in the end.

http://mail.yahoo.com