     Domnic Fernandes continues (Part III) his reminiscence of
                       Mapusa of the 1950s

  http://www.goanet.org/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=426
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

       /                                         d8   Founded in
 e88~88e  e88~-_    /~~~8e  888-~88e  e88~~8e  _d88__ 1994 by
 888 888 d888   i       88b 888  888 d888  88b  888   Herman
 "88_88" 8888   |  e88~-888 888  888 8888__888  888   Carneiro
  /      Y888   ' C888  888 888  888 Y888    ,  888
 Cb       "88_-~   "88_-888 888  888  "88___/   "88_/
   http://www.goanet.org * Building social capital.

-----   GOANET NEWS BYTES * APRIL 11, 2006 * DATELINE GOA ------

o Three engineering students among four that drown off
  Calangute. They were from Kerala and vacationing at
  the Konkan Railway Guest House. The fourth who died
  on Monday at the same beach was Canadian national
  Mathew Monteiro (68). Navhind Times comments: Today's
  four casualties, particularly the students, add to
  Goa's burgeoning tally of beach drownings and
  highlights the state's poor record in beach safety.(NT)

          Goa government has allotted 200,000 square
          metres of land at Sancoale to M/s Morarjee
          Realities of the Peninsula Group for
          establishing a Special Economic Zone for
          research and development facilities, mainly
          in pharmaceuticals. CM Pratapsing Rane handed
          over the allotment letter for the land to
          J.M.Mody of Morarjee Realities Ltd.(H)

          TWO MAJOR MINING HOUSES in Goa, VM Salgaocar and
          VS Dempo have joined hands to launch a new
          transshipper (these play a key role in the ore
          export trade) and it has been called M V Goan Pride.
          Large newspaper adverts, particularly in the mining
          linked section of the Goa media, congratulate
          both firms on the launch of the transshipper by
          chief minister Pratapsing Rane on Tuesday.
          Yesterday's papers highlighted the visits by
          teams from Japan, South Korea and China -- all
          major iron-ore importers from Goa. Navhind says the
          "state-of-art" technology was used to create the
          new-generation transshipper with a storage
          capacity of 123,000 tonnes in her holds and a
          It has the the capacity to load Panamax vessels
          in one day and larger-sized cape vessles of upto
          300,000 DWT in three to four days, brining Goa
          "at par with the loading facilities of leading
          iron ore exporting countries like Australia and
          Brazil". (Navhind Times)

o Babush (controversial town and country planning miniser
  Atanasio Monteiro) has overnight become a vocal
  protagonist of the 'No Mopa, only Dabolim' airport
  campaign. (H)

o New water connection ban planned in Mormugao: With entire
  Mormugao in general and Vasco in particular facing an acute
  water shortage, the district authorities have favoured a
  ban on issuing new water connections in the taluka. (H)

o CM rules out cash crunch in Goa. (H)
o Jamir, Rane extend Id greetings. (H)
o Cuncolkars block approach road to garbage dumpyard. (H)
o Passenger RK Krishnan held with catridges before flight.H
o Migrants leave Aquem, Khareband slums with the axe looming
  large over illegal shanties in Margao. (H)
o Mumbai consultant employed at Sirvodem sewage plant. (H)
o Malim firecracker mishap victims still critical. (H)
o Seizure of statues: Mumbai local Dhirendra Jha held.
  Sleuths are now looking at busting a bigger and
  organised racket. (H)
o Components of comunidades to meet on Apr 11, Holy Spirit
  Church Hall, Margao, 11 am in view of recent developments.H
o Churchill vows to save Dabolim airport for posterity. (H)
o Vishwesh Acharya unanimously elected sarpanch of Loliem-Polem.
o Navy's new J-24 boats set to create history. (H)
o With Goa get bitten by OBC (other backward classes) quota
  bug? There's nothing on paper to suggest that, but if
  politics dictates this, then the Rane government will have
  no choice but to toe the line and bite the quota bullet.(GT)
o Porvorim residents flay leasing of land for commercial use.GT

          GOANETTER and writer Victor Rangel-Ribeiro
          is featured in a Gomantak Times column
          called 'Writer's Bloc' by Arti Das. (GT)

          THE SINGING TALENT of the Cottas and the Colacos
          is featured in an article by Nicole Suares in GT.

THE GOOD NEWS::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

          Goa awarded special place at Lusofonia Games in
          Macau. Commandante Vincente Moura, president of
          the Portuguese Olympic Committee disclosed that the
          initiative had come from the Indian Olympic
          Association. (NT)

o Booklet on 'soccer nutrition' to be published under MoU
  with Porto University. (NT)
o Home care service for cancer patients launched. (H)
o Eight-day horse riding camp from Apr 15-22 at Campal.(H)
o St Xavier's College Mapusa has launched a news and features
  e-service to focus on issues related to education,
  environment, and development.
o Piano 40 founder Nadia Lasserson to hold workshop at
  Kala Academy's black box on Apr 15 from 10 am to 1 pm.
o St Xavier's, Mapusa to organise a six-day basic Konkani
  course from April 17 to 22 from 9 am to 10 am. Fees Rs 200.
  Contact 2252356 or at the office personally.

THE GOOD NEWS::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

POLICE VIEW: Deputy Inspector General Ujjwal Mishra
maintained that even though both Tariq Ahmad BAttlo and
Shamim Ahmad were trained in terror camps at Muzaffarabad in
PoK, they had never at any given point of time met in Goa.
The police team has interrogated Shamim and there was nothing
for us to come to a reference that the two alleged terrorists
were planning to blow up vital installations in the State.(H)

          British MP Keith Vaz, of Goan origin, said at
          a Goa University lecture that the internet had
          played a vital role in globalisation. He said
          it also plays a role in reducing poverty. He
          said: "The internet has grown massively. The
          internet is a power weapon for our age." He also
          said that charitable organisations benefit from
          it, and so could governments, and politicians
          use the medium to interact with the people.(H)

ACCIDENT UPDATE: Two-and-half year old child died on the spot
when crushed under a truck at a construction site at Nagzar,
Pernem. Clay-laden truck KG22A2666 was in reverse and crushed
Abhishek Balchandra Rathod, the son of a labourer working for
the Tillari canal at Nagzar.

Seventh standard student Rex D'Souza (13) of Curtorim was
fatally knocked down by a Maruti van, when proceeding from
Muxer to Curtorim Monday evening. D'Souza was on a cycle
proceeding from his residence at Manzon when one Salvador
(30) dashed against him, and pressed his body in between the
wall and the car, killing him on the spot. (H)

RANE STEPS OUT: For reasons explicitly not known, chief
minister Pratapsing Rane has relinquished chairmanship of
both committees of the Entertainment Society of Goa. It is
unclear whether this has anything to do with the 'office of
profit' controversy, which rocked Parliament last month.(H)

TCI, Travel Corporation (India) Pvt Ltd, is offering
three-days holidays in Malaysia (ex-Mumbai) at Rs 11,699,
three days in Singapore at almost the same price, and three
days in Thailand ex-Goa at Rs 15,999. Prices per person, twin
sharing basis, includes return economy airfare, airport
transfers, two nights accomodation, breakfast, city tours.
www.tcindia.com

Pending work keeps State Bank of India workers on toes, after
conclusion of their strike. SBI says all branch networks have
begun functioning normally since April 10, as has the ATM
network. To clear backlog, customer services wil be offered
for two extra hours on April 10, 11 and 12.

FROM THE KONKANI, MARATHI PRESS

o Gomantak features the coal pollution issue in Vasco.
o Headline in Gomantak: "Govyat Jihadache prashishan
  denyachya aateerekee shammichi prayatna fasla".
o An advert in Gomantak indicates that it will cost half-a
  million ruppes (Rs 5.31 lakh) to reinstate roads
  excavated for laying underground cables within Panjim!
o Govadoot edit: Who's responsible for State Bank strike?
o Nakteshwar Ram Temple foundation stone laid at Nagzar,
  Curti by Brahmanand Swami. (Govadoot)
o Ponda Christians take out a palm Sunday procession
  ('Rama Aitar') featured in Gova Doot as a photo.
o A Ponda resident has won a Rs 4.5 crore (Rs 45 million)
  lottery from the playwin SuperLotto, says Sunaparant.
o Some 65,000 cheques cleared at State Bank, Margao,
  after its week-long strike nationwide. (Sunaparant)
o Don't cast aside mothertongue Konkani due to the
  script controversy, Sunaparant quotes Zito Almeida
  as saying at the Fr Freddy Awards function. Sunaparant.
o Give Romi script Konkani the same position as
  Devanagari: Tomazinho (Sunaparant)

FROM HERE AND THERE IN CYBERSPACE

FROM LOUTOLIM... A MESSAGE: Carlos Mascarenhas of the Garca
Branca at Loutolim Salcete is an expat Goan who has been in
Uganda, the UK and now in Richmond, Canada. He has restored
his family home and is now offering classy holidays in Goa.
See http://www.gracabranca.com

          Goanet News Bytes ran into Carlos when he came
          to advertise his venture. Yes, Goanet does accept
          community based adverts. For details contact
          Herman Carneiro [EMAIL PROTECTED]

FROM SINGAPORE... WITH LOVE: Elston Soares
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> informs about plans for an event at
Singapore: Benizi Fernandes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
announces that the Goa Nite 2006 will be held on Saturday,
May 20, 2006 at the Singapore Swimming Club, Tanjong Rhu
Road. Invitation cards will be available at few destinations,
cash on delivery. First come first serve basis to reserve
your seats. Please contact and collect your invite from the
following persons or email [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
Yishun and CBD/Raffles -- Winnie 68809734/67532296/98256204;
Changi -- Errol M 96829625; Marine Parade -- Wayne 93632996
or Arthur Martin; Orchard -- Ronny 98303093; East Coast --
George 96642711 Clyde 98211506 or Benizi 97860464. Friends of Goa!

QUOTE OF THE DAY:

Our identity is not so superficial. Nor is it disposal,
expected to dissipate into nothingness when assaulted by
other identities. We are a community committed to gender
equality, we have a long tradition of property ownership, we
value education, we have an appreciation for fine music and
art. We are deeply anchored by the rituals and rites of our
religion. These are the defining aspects of our culture. --
-- Elizabeth Carvalho on Goanet.org

DEATHS AND REMEMBRANCES

CURTORIM: Michael Coelho of Xindolem. Funeral on Tuesday.
MOBOR, CAVELOSSIM: Carmelina Chagas Braz Fernandes

ALDONA: Jose Cruz Fernandes, 1st anniversary.
ALDONA: Liberata D'Souza, Goncoi, month's mind.
ASSOLNA: Nennie Martha De Almeida e Pinheiro b 1936. 1st anniv.
CHANDOR: Conceicao J Antao, third anniversary
FATORDA: Assis Francisco Noronha, civil contractor, 3rd anniv.
NAVELIM: Jose Diniz, b 1937. Aquem-Baixo and Kuwait. 1st anniv.
SALIGAO: Carmeline Piedade Fernandes, 3rd anniversary.
SIOLIM: Bernard Lobo, ex-Entebbe, Uganda and UK.
VERNA: Justino Lino Goes and Besmita Goes, 3rd anniversary.

DAISY'S FAVOURITES: Recipies from [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Easter will be celebrated on Sunday, April 16.  Family
celebrations, traditional recipes, and church services are
the important features of Easter. It iis the time to
celebrate the life and resurrection of Christ, time of
springtime festivals, and a time for kids to welcome the
Easter bunny.  Here are some recipes that can be found on one
of my favorite food channels called the Food Network.  Enjoy!

How to Make Your Easter Ham: Combine syrup, vinegar and
mustard. Place ham, fat side up, on rack in shallow roasting
pan. Pour about 1/2 cup mixture over ham and bake, uncovered,
in a preheated 325 degree oven for 1-1/2 hours. Baste every
30 minutes with additional sauce. Remove ham from oven and
score fat into diamond shapes. Insert a clove into each
diamond. Bake ham an additional 30 minutes or until a meat
thermometer inserted into the thickest part of meat registers
140 degrees. Let ham rest 15 minutes before carving. Makes 10
to 12 servings.  Enjoy.

Here are some side dishes to go with the ham:

          Majeiritsa (Easter Lamb Soup): 2 tablespoons olive
          oil, 2 onions(finely chopped), 6 to 7 green onions,
          (finely chopped), 8 cups chicken broth, 1 pound
          boneless lamb (trimmed of excess fat and cut in
          1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces), 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh
          Italian parsley, 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill, 1/3
          cup long-grain rice, 4 large egg yolks, at room
          temperature, 1/2 cups fresh lemon juice (about 2
          lemons), salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.

In a large stockpot over medium heat, add the olive oil.
Saute onions until soft, about 5 minutes. Add chicken broth,
lamb, parsley and dill. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover
and simmer for about 1 hour. Add rice and continue simmering
until soft, about 20 minutes.

In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks and lemon juice until
frothy. Gradually add 1 to 2 cups of hot soup to egg mixture,
beating vigorously with a whisk to keep eggs from curdling.
Pour the egg mixture back into the pot, stirring well. Simmer
for 1 minute; do not boil. Season with salt and freshly
ground pepper. Enjoy!

GOANET NEWS BYTES NEEDS VOLUNTEERS

If you can compile Goa-related and expat-related news from
across the world, get in touch with [EMAIL PROTECTED] You can
o Compile news from diverse Goa/expat sources for us.
o Write a regular feature for GNN (like Daisy's cuisine column)
o Popularise Goanet News Bytes among friends, or via the media
o Help in any other way you think will help GNN grow.

A big thank you to those already helping: Daisy, Bosco,
Avelino, Gabe and others...

||g |||o |||a |||n |||e |||t ||   Issue compiled by

Copyleft Goanet 2005 http://www.creativecommons.org You may
reproduce this ezine in its entirety, with credits retained.