Hi,
I was keeping a keen watch on the replies/heat generated by the topic "Road safety in Goa". Someone has renamed it as the mission of Mr.Mascharenhas and some others mistook it as the problem of the Police. Yet another person termed the view with `sceptic' touch.By and large, there is a NEGATIVE VOTE for Road Safety, from its own users!

Is this all that we all care for the land of Goa and Goans? Our lipservice has not dried the roads from blood bath! There are many Good Samaritans like Mr.Mascharinhas, who have in their priority to have a Safe journey on the Goan Roads: if not immediately atleast before the next IFFI takes place at Panaji.

All Roads in Goa do not lead to Hospitals! It's only a few such roads and few such road users who chose to have this blood bath. Depending on their longevity, people prefer to choose their hospitals-with an approach "TO BE OR NOT TO BE".

When people are so much engulfed with the topics of " New Netha", NRI Status, and syllogisms/major and minor premises and the copula, I am shocked to see the least sensible response on the most crucial subject "ROAD SAFETY".

If we do not want and respect ROAD SAFETY, why the State or its Authorities should want it or nurture it. Symbolically, it remains as the Annual Ritual to complete the columns of the local news papers and the small screens of all the pussy joints.

I have seen, preached and practised ENOUGH OF ROAD SAFETY FOR DECADES not at Goa but at MADRAS CITY (now Chennai) BANGALORE CITY (now Bengaluru) and the National Capital Territory Area of Delhi. Since Goan Traffic Model is at its beginning or formative stage, it is easy to make it a real MODEL STATE in Traffic Management.(with the use of Technology of course)

This feat is possible only with the co operation of the enforcement authorities and all the other echelons of the Government. To ignite this, we should take the first step. TO think of ROAD SAFETY.

ROAD SAFETY is in the ethos of any state any region and in the blood of any human being. No one willingly wants to have a bloodbath on the road due to some one else's rash and negligent approach, or otherwise.

Road safety does not happen through ENFORCEMENT.It is not through PLATFORM SPEECHES and/or PUBLICITY STUNTS. Road Safety is felt and practised more by AWARENESS and ENGINEERING THE SAFETY. The Three E'S : EDUCATION; ENGINEERING AND THE ENFORCEMENT are valid in any nation- but the basic need is that people should DEMAND ROAD SAFETY.

PEOPLE WHO ACCEPT ROAD SAFETY DOCTRINE, START PRACTISING IT.

TO-DAY WHAT GOA NEEDS IS NOT SALT AND PEPPER ON THE OPEN WOUNDS OF UNSAFE ROADS; BUT SOOTHING ANTI-INFLAMMATORY OINTMENT AND ALSO A TIMELY BANDAGE FOR INSULATING AND CURING THE WOUND.

Are we mentally ready to look ANEW at the most ROAD SAFETY PROJECT/S?

yours
NC/08/05/2006
12:32 am/IST