Friends !

A report from Edwin Pinto - The Secretary - GOENKARANCHEM DAIZ is
appended here below.

GOENKARANCHEM DAIZ will be participating in this years WORLD GOA DAY
celebrations.

Please support them in any way you can and be PROUD to be a GOAN.

rene

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

If one is to capture the essence of that unique phenomenon
called "Goenkarponn", there is no better representation than an audience
gathered together to watch a traditional tiatr. As the lights dim and the band
strikes up, a cross section of Goans from all walks of life, united in happy
anticipation,  sit together, to watch a form of entertainment that gives
expression to their singular Goan identity. Only a true blooded Goan can
identify with, appreciate and enjoy the scenes, characters and jokes as they
unfold upon the stage, expressing with characteristic Goan sentimentality,
emotion and often sharp, colloquial humour the hopes, dreams, fears,
unfulfilled aspirations of the community and even perceived social injustices .

GOENKARANCHEM DAIZ was born of a strongly felt desire to recreate that
rapport, empathy and most of all, that sense of shared heritage and belonging
in the larger community of Goans. Goa has produced Generals in the army,
Admirals in the Navy, nuclear scientists, ambassadors, financial wizards and
supercops who have done their homeland proud.. Yet, despite all the talents
and resources at our command, we do not seem to have succeeded in pulling
together as an amalgamated entity.

GOENKARANCHEM DAIZ was conceptualised as a catalyst organization that would
strive to build bridges to various sections of our Goan community, both in Goa
as well as other parts of the world, so that we may function as a cohesive
amalgamation, bound together by our common identity, history and heritage. It
will also be our endeavour to serve as a binding force and create a platform
that would facilitate Goans to put their strengths and talents to use for the
good of Goa and the Goan community.

And I think we have made a significant if small start in the setting up of our
library, which in itself is a symbol of what Goans can achieve when they come
together in a spirit of co-operation. The driving force behind this entire
effort of course, needs no introduction. Antonio Piedade da Morais, is a well
known Konknni mogi, and a die hard lover of all things connected with his Goan
ancestry and heritage. Morais Bab’s steadfast belief that our Goan identity
is strongly rooted in our shared history, culture, and most of all our beloved
“maim bhas”, motivated him to build up over the years, a collection of
Konknni literature ranging from the oldest to more modern works and other
connected books, documents etc. at his own cost. Along the way, he received a
few books from writers, publishers, other institutions and interested
individuals by way of donations. Morais Bab’s deepest desire was to put this
treasure at the service of the community in general and scholars,
 writers journalists, students of history and Konknni in particular. He hoped
that these books would also serve as a ready source of resource material to
help keep our history objective and factual, particularly in these troubled
times.

It was at this point that yet another son of Goa, Afiano Fernandes, played a
part in fulfilling this vision by generously offering his spacious premises at
MIDAS TOUCH, opposite the Margao District and Sessions Court,  rent free, to
house the library until permanent premises could be found. As word of Morais
Bab’s vision spread, it succeeded in capturing the imagination of a host of
other enthusiastic Goenkars. They responded overwhelmingly, donating valuable
old books from their family collections, others chipping in with furniture
like cupboards, tables, chairs, fans and other equipment, which has together
enabled us to put this unique library together for the benefit of the
community   Today, we can take pride in the fact that this entire library,
comprising around 3,500 books, has been set up entirely through the
contributions and donations of our large hearted fellow Goenkars

The enthusiasm generated by this endeavour drew together a group of around 50
Goans, who today form a registered organization called GOENKARANCHEM DAIZ, a
non political, non religious body embracing Goans of varying shades of
opinion, but united in common love of their shared “Goenkarponn”. This
little group of enthusiastic Goenkars decided to take the vision even further
by  endeavouring to construct a permanent complex – a house of Goan cultural
heritage which can be used to showcase and promote not only the Konkani
language, but also Goa’s literature, culture, history, art and  folklore in
addition to our traditional flora and fauna, so that we may preserve and
perhaps help pass on to future generations the common Goan heritage and
culture that once bound us together so strongly.

With globalisation and  the stormy winds of change sweeping the state today,
GOENKARANCHEM DAIZ believes that the Goan community cannot afford to have
their innate strengths diluted by division and dissension on basic and
important issues. If Goans as a community are to chart the course of their
future, then it is imperative that we initiate and promote a healthy and
constructive debate that will enable us bring about a consensus on crucial
issues that affect our survival as a community. It will be the endeavour of
GOENKARANCHEM DAIZ to create a platform where different viewpoints can be
aired, debated and hopefully reconciled, so that Goans as a community, can
together collectively influence the decision making process in the state, in a
manner that  truly benefits Goa and Goans. We invite you to be part of our
endeavour.

Edwin Pinto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo