Aristo
Many thanks for an informative reply. I was not aware about the tsunami situation and evangelisation of people at their most vulnerable. The Catholic Church should be ashamed of itself on this count.

From very early in my life I had the kind of thoughts you raised about the
nonsense of the true faith etc but neither my teachers nor the priests were able to give me an adequate reply except to say "you must ask God to help you to believe what we teach." Of course, they were barely educated in the true sense of that word, but merely schooled.
Cornel
PS At least you had the good luck to be stopped by an attractive lady with an interest in converting you. I am nevertheless puzzled that you couldn't get her phone number on an easy pretext. Better luck next time Viviana permitting!! The UK is the most secular country in Europe and we don't get accosted to hear the word of the Lord except by weary looking Jehova Witnesses who sometimes call at homes on sundays. Their naiviety is truly embarrassing. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Aristo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <goanet@goanet.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 28, 2006 7:42 AM
Subject: [Goanet] Re: Da Vinci Code': Christians catch the fundamentalist

Cornel & George,
I very much agree with the both of you. So I don't have anything interesting to add by contradicting. But I would like to add to why I think Christians are
more prone to evangelisation.

Right from Catechism, when we are too young to make an informed choice, we are brainwashed into thinking that our Hindu and Muslim friends are destined to
hell, and we should "pray for their lost souls" and "help to save their
souls". This continues in adulthood when we pray for the "pagan brothers &
sisters" during the Let-us-Pray section of the mass, and the thoughts we
imbibe during childhood require a certain strength to shrug off. This
arrogance that Christianity is the best (and only) religion and everyone
should follow it to be saved is almost inbred. Most tend to keep this thought dormant while engaging with non-christian brothers and sisters, a few reject
it, and a few enlightened and pro-active ones become evangelists.

Now what I find the most repulsive form of evangilisation is that practiced my a FEW missionaries. They follow the policy of 'Food in the left hand, and a Bible in the right', either both or nothing. This was confirmed during the
various stories* that came out during the voluntary efforts of many groups
post the Tsunami in south India. Helpless people had no choice but to convert.
Jesus taught of an UNCONDITIONAL love. Yet these misguided missionaries
believe they are doing the work of Jesus.