Frederick [FN] Noronha
Sent: 26 May 2006 21:48

Here's another perspective on what's happening in another
former Portuguese colony. Without intending to bait our Lusostalgic
friends, could one ask whether there was something specific about
Portuguese colonialism that left behind strongly polarised, violent,
almost-futureless societies when compared to others (apart from French
colonialism too, to a degree ... where we also saw violent implosions like
the Portuguese case?). FN

 From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Fred, I agree with the opinion of Damien Kingsbury.

"Unmet expectations: You see this in a lot of postcolonial countries,"

jc's contribution to this topic:

Here's another perspective on what's might be happening in the minds
of some of us. Without intending to bait our Lusophobic friends, could
one ask whether there is a place on this earth where there was/is no
conflict?

Portuguese colonialism may have left behind strongly polarised, violent,
societies, but what is their present status when compared to what the
Portuguese found them when they reached there?

Do we know ?

I submit that ALL places in this world have tensions. Many of these
tensions have been/are artificially subdued by Military Action, Dictatorships or
Forced Federations e.g. Yugoslavia, USSR et al

Uprisings occur, they are always put down violently. When "we" do it,
it is in the "interest of national defence and security", When "they" do
it, it is an act of ruthless dictatorship. When "we" rebel, we are the
"freedom fighters", When "they" do it, they are "terrorists".

The basic principles in inter-personal relationships are as follows:

1. As long as there is Plenty, there is Peace.

2. As long as there is a semblance of Equality, there is Peace.

3. As long as there is dialogue, there is Peace.

4. As long as there is Press Ostrichism, there is Peace.

5. Unfairness always leads to resentment.

6. Violence always begets more Violence.

7. Most problems can be solved peacefully - IF there is the will

8. Unfortunately, there is Greed, Avarice and Malice.

9. and the falacious belief that "We" are good, "They" are horrible.

Dear Paulo,

until our Lusophobic friends provide us with info suggesting that:

a: the former Portuguese colonies were peaceful and sans ethnic violence
ante the arrival of the Portuguese

b: there presently is peace and tranquility in Kashmir, Palestine, Uganda,
Zimbabwe, Northern Ireland, Afghanistan, Burundi, Congo, Dafur, Sri Lanka,
Bangladesh, Iraq, Turkey, Pakistan etc etc

I will wonder WHY this Lusophobic query is being repeated here.

Unless we are in need of anti-helminthic meds.

Is it not time to accept "Our Own" past with the past of "Theirs", acknowledge
that there are Sinners, Saints and SinnerSaints among ALL of us.

Time to grow up and Move on.

Is it not?

sincerely

jc