Frances
The issue on Goanet about Dan Brown's controversial book and film The Da Vinci Code has arisen largely because of deep Catholicim among many Goans. Therefore, unlike you, I believe that it is a perfectly fit topic for discussion on Goanet. If you do not want to read about it on Goanet you are at liberty to use the delete button and thus confine yourself to a lot of discussion which is more narrowly about Goa. I personally do not agree with much that has been said about the controversial book/film but I am glad that Goanet goes beyong taking a very narrow view about what is or is not appropriate for its site.
Cornel
PS You can't have been to Goa recently to say no one speaks Konkani any more! ----- Original Message ----- From: "Pires, Frances" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <goanet@goanet.org>
Sent: Monday, May 29, 2006 3:42 AM
Subject: [Goanet] RE: Viva Goa

Dear Meera,

I apologize for your having to see my response to your husband's
article.  That could not have been nice.  My ignorance led me to believe
that the letter was exclusively written to the 'gatekeeper' of Goanet
and I had no idea that it was mass posted.  My issues with your
husband's article are many - but it is a free world and he is entitled
to his opinion.   My major gripe was with the 'moderator' of Goanet.
Your husband's article was an editorial on a very explosive topic to an
audience (mostly international Goans) who are intelligent and broad
minded (as are my local Goencars) and have already made up their views
on Dan Brown and Catholicism - the latter has its good points and its
bad - we Goans are, after all products of the inquisition and have made
our peace with that.  Mr. Noronha's article was not factual nor broad
minded - it was what it was - an editorial that deserved to printed
anywhere else but on Goanet...and I will not refute his article in this
letter.

I long for hobor (news) news of my ghor (my homeland), the place I want
to be buried.  Posting articles such as your husband's piece is off
putting and aggravating and does not serve the purpose of this weekly
email - that I look forward to.   Yes, I said the following:
"I enjoy the pieces on our history and the debates on Roman script vs
Devnagari, Goans in the diaspora etc.... "
and this homesick Goencar meant it.  I don't want to know about Dan
Brown and the visceral reaction he brings out in your husband - I want
to know about Goa - the political situation, the garbage disposal
situation, Goans surviving accross the globe, how are culture lives on
in the next generation (because it is fast getting wiped out in Goa),
the shenanigans of Messrs. Montserrate and Alemao etc.....

Please leave us this little real estate that we have found - lord knows
this may be all we have - after all it is becoming impossibly expensive
to afford to live in Goa anymore - I hardly recognize the place I spent my childhood....and no one speaks Konkani anymore - what's that all
about?
Viva Goa
Frances