Ages of a Man

1. Panch... Nagdo Nach ( Five - Dance Naked )
    We allow our children to run practically naked till they are five

2. Dha.... zaitench kha ( Ten - eat lots )
    This Proverb allows full liberty to the children upto the age of ten

3. Vis... korta kismis
    A young man of 20 goes in for love/ or songs.

4. Chalis....Kaddta dis
     Forty and counting the days.

5. Ponas...zalo tonas
    At fifty he has started aging

6. Satt budh natt.
    We grow old very soon and a man aged 60 is expected to be imbecile
7. Sotor...fonda bitor
    Seventy - inside the grave, maybe the longevity was 70 then

8.  Noi...Andak choi
     When a man attains the age of 90 he is so much bowed down that his eyes
     approach the thighs

Another Version:
1 - Vis...khas fis - hip, smart, cool
2 - Chalis....Kaddta dis - Forty and counting the days.
3 - Ponas...zalo tonas - At fifty he has started aging
4 -Satt...poita  vatt -  looking for the road to come
5 -Noixim..addam raxic - Ninety...bones in a heap.

++++++++++++++

With todays proverbs, I conclude the ADC posts, which I was posting in
absence
of Domnic Babs "Aichea Dissak Chintop'.

I would like to thank all those who have written to me in pvt and to those
of my friends
who assisted me with the translation in English.

So far I have compiled more than 600 konkani proverbs and am still working
on more.
Most of these proverbs have been taken from the Net - Goanet in particular
and also as reference
I have taken help of the book "The konkani Proverbs' by V.P.Chavan which is
in Devnagri script.
My previous compilation of Konkani proverbs, helped Mr. Manohar to bring out
his
book on proverbs in Devnagri. A few of the proverbs are also Manglore

The most difficult part has been the translation into English. Although it
is not possible to give
the exact English translation with meanings I have tried my best to be
close. The translation
has been done in the interest of Goemcars who do not know konkani, so that
they  may read them
and understand them. Once I complete and fromat in word/PDF I will  like to
share this file
with my Goemcar bhavs on the net.

Dev Borem Korum
Edward Verdes