Dear Melinda, scroll down...

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 Melinda Powell wrote :

We speak and no one listens.Only after repeated
protests,there is an impact.

The recent protest at the Zuari bridge where the
commuters took to the streets and blocked the bridge ,brought about swift >action from the Govt..
Melinda Coutinho Powell

I will forward a piece I wrote for the Herald
last Sat morn (17/June), on the fiasco about
the partial closure of the Zuari Bridge, which
appeared at Page 2 anchor, the day you attended
the Cuncolim Consumer Forum meet.  Check my
opening sentences.

We may rave and rant.  In the face of huge
fortunes amassed by our politicos, plundering
the public kitty, nothing's gonna change in
Goa -- not even the next election results.
Unless we are willing to march on the streets
and bare our chests like Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia
did at Margao 60 years ago (telling the Portuguese
police 'commandante' that he would not stop his
fiery speech, as ordered, and daring the cop,
the service revolver drawn, to shoot him)
60 years ago.

We will have to march on the streets and bare
our chests, to get results.  That's the reason
I tipped the hat to the brave Goenkars who
blocked the Zuari Bridge last Friday.

We need a Che Guevarra.  Times have made a Gandhi
redundant.

Just a thought.
-Valmiki