High time Goans get Positive - By Plastino D'Costa

Engage a Goan in a conversation, and the story he might tell you will be of
misery, if you happen
to be a silent listener, he will make sure you have pity on him and
everybody in Goa, the closer
the relationship the worse the story. Are Goans really in such a bad shape
or is it a case of
seeing the glass half empty?

With such a negative mindset embedded, how can we expect our GenerationNext
to perform?
Of course things are not great in Goa, but they are not hopeless either. It
is everybody's duty to
point out the wrongs of the society, but strictly in the hope of making a
better future, and not to
create a pessimistic society.

We are used to talking negative all the time, that it has become a part of
our lives.
Goa might be the only place where Goans actually pay money to watch Konkani
plays
where actors proudly advertise that they are Tragedy Kings or Tragedy Queens
or whatever.
It means tragedy sells in Goa, thereby making it slowly a pessimistic
society. Even Bollywood
gave up on their tragedy king's long time ago, because it did not reflect
the society anymore.

Children during their  formative years look up to their elders for guidance,
and eventually
behave like them. If you create an environment of pessimism, even if they
are born to succeed,
we might be conditioning them to fail. Adolescent age is full of hope,
desires, dreams and pessimistic
society could stifle all that.

Today Indian society is all about confidence and confidence comes when you
think positive.
Why should Goa be any different? Thinking positive is the only  way our
chances increase in finding
a solution  to a problem. Our GenerationNext might acquire the best of
education in schools
and colleges, but without a positive attitude most of it will be neutralized
with the systematic
negative influence of our society.

Having negative thoughts and feelings are not uncommon, but when negative
feelings outnumber the
positive ones it affects performance, growth, happiness. When people are
negative it affects their
self-confidence. Goans who talk negative might actually be using negative
psychology, little knowing
that it actually affects them also. Conscious or sub-conscious negative talk
should be discouraged
from the society.

Thinking negative might be justified for our past generation, as they lived
in a period of transition
from an easy Portuguese Past to a difficult uncertain Indian future and no
transition is
easy. But now India's future is not uncertain anymore and our GenerationNext
has no excuse to
think negative or feel hopeless.

Positive thinking eventually helps in getting the job done. Imagine, you
rise early morning and
you have an important assignment at hand for the day, if your mind believes
you will succeed,
chances are high you will succeed, however, if your mind believes you will
not, whatever chances you had
to succeed becomes nil. You will achieve what your mind believes in.

Positive thinking people give positive vibes and this reflects on people
close to them, and those
people will take it to others and eventually the whole society will be full
of people with
positive attitude. Remember  we are all born to succeed, if Goans can
succeed outside Goa,
then why not in Goa, it means Goan environment needs to be made conducive
for success.

Meantime, authorities can do their bit, to put an end to dishing too much
tragedy in the name
of entertainment. If sex and violence is bad and controlled by censors, let
there be, control
on excessive tragedy shown in the form of entertainment. If sex and violence
corrupts the society
then depicting tragedy for no reason makes the population timid. We need
confident Goans
and we need to remove all obstacles that come in the way.

Why bother about this Tiatr going Goan? Because, come election-day and this
negative
thinking, tragedy seeking timid Goan, by his sheer strength of his number,
declares
the verdict on our face, it is this Goan who neutralizes the positive vote.
Unfortunately
he is in majority at the moment.

Goans in position of influence on the society choose to ignore this subject.
Of course there is an incentive for vote seekers  to keep the population
timid,  so that
they depend on them for every small thing. But Goans who sincerely want to
change
society for the better can do their bit by making sure people in their
circle change
mindset from negative to positive.

Remember all systems are designed to work, even the Goan system, be it the
government, bureaucratic for the private sector. All systems have to get the
job done,
it has to complete the loop, there might be loop holes in the system, but by
thinking
positive you can actually focus on the loop and not the loop holes.

If we need Goa to change, we need to change the mindset of Goans from
pessimism to optimism.
The government does not control the way you think. Of course it might put
obstacles,
but once you think positive, you will overcome these obstacles, COME WHAT
MAY.

The above article appeared  in the 'Herald' editorial dated May 24th 2006.
The writer is Goan presently working in Kuwait and has written a few
articles
for Herald on 'GenerationNext'

Forwarded By Edward Verdes