Enjoy your holiday in Goa. Stay at THE GARCA BRANCA from November to May
         There is no better, value for money, guest house.
              Confirm your bookings early or miss-out

Hi Cornel,

Thanks for your post and eliciting my views. To begin with, I do not want to
confuse with the Jewish issue and your reaction to other religions.  I know
little of your thought processes on these subjects. For the important issue at
hand, that is a mere digression.

If you don't think your writings and opinions are anti-Catholic, think again
and take a closer look at yourself.  When last did you write a positive post /
story on the Catholic faith or Church?  In the USA, I meet and work with a lot
of non-practicing Christians / Catholics. They don’t care about religion.  And
that is perfectly fine with me.  To repeat!  That is perfectly fine with me!
Yet, Goan atheists / agnostics and non-practicing Catholics are positively
anti-Catholics in their attitudes. This is well seen in the recent discussions
on Goanet. It is almost they need an anti-Catholic crutch to rationalize their
non-practice of their faith.

I have said often that religion is like the field of medicine. They both cover
a vast territory and have a long history. Both have had and continue to have
major faults and are constantly striving to improve themselves. Yet society
needs both.  Do you despise and harangue the physicians in your family due to
past and present mistakes in the theory and practice of medicine?

What would be the logic and rationale for a Church to be built on a temple when
there was so much land available in Goa?  Could not the Portuguese build a
church in Goa wherever they wanted? Do Hindus (today) have to displace a church
in USA or UK to build their temple? The choice of words of "arrogant
displacement" is yours.  Did your professorial curiosity ask for any specific
factual details from Marlon or the other authors of anti-Catholic propaganda?

With your "English sophistication", and your "deep questioning" you and others
have a knack to exacerbate a situation. All this while you claim you are trying
to understand the problem and be helpful.  The above choice of words have not
been the exception. For a similar reason on another thread I asked you if you
were a practicing Catholic. I do not want to sound harsh and I apologize in
advance if it does come across as such.  Your "loaded phraseology" may
tickle-pink the Goan-anti-Catholics across the Atlantic. Yet, the diatribe by
the few of you-all does not help the Catholics in Goa and India. They have to
live with the results of those snide remarks. I am sure you followed the
politics of the ban on the Da Vinci Code movie - notwithstanding the various
"editorials" in the press or in cyber Goa.  That's how much native Goans think
of the "smart Goans."

I do not have to WASTE MY TIME countering the cheap shots by Catholics who are
not even practicing-Catholics, even though their name sounds Goan Catholic. I
am sorry to be so blunt. Yet, this is especially irking when you write
(piously) that you are wasting your time trying to make Goanet educational.

I am not asking you (or others) to refrain from pursuing the evaluation of your
religion. Yet do you think washing our dirty religious laundry on Goanet
advances your contribution to your faith?  Instead of merely criticizing the
past, now it is your turn to contribute to your religion.  Yet, all that I see
from you and others are your "rationale" for not practicing your faith. I am
not a holy or fundamentalist person. But I hope at least I have good judgement
and that is what I am annoyed about you-all.  As I said previously, I work with
non-practicing Christians / Catholics all the time and some are our good social
friends. Yet they have good judgement not to show-off any anti-Christian
attitudes (which they don't have) on their sleeve.

The odds are, after all is said and done, you and other Goan-anti-Catholics
will realize your positive contribution to the Catholic faith has been ziltz.
That's because all of you elect to dwell only on the historical negatives both
real and imaginary.  In many respects I feel some of the Goan-anti-Catholics
are like alcoholics who create their anti-Catholicism as a good excuse not to
go for Sunday mass. This instead of blaming it on their self-indulgent
hangovers.
Kind Regards, GL

---- cornel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Gilbert
Firstly, I am at a loss to understand your current talk of anti-Catholic views.
How can you possibly arrive at such a view when, as in my case, all one is
seeking is historical veracity on the temple/church issue in Goa because of
intellectual curiosity?