Enjoy your holiday in Goa. Stay at THE GARCA BRANCA from November to May
         There is no better, value for money, guest house.
              Confirm your bookings early or miss-out

--- Vivek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In my opinion and in the opinion of many historians
> there is no "perhaps" or "maybe" as far as
> atrocities on the local population including
> destruction of hindu temples is concerned.It is
> well documented by independent historians and the
> writings of people like Francis xavier too reflect
> that barbarity.

Mario responds:

Vivek,
Any opinion needs to be backed up by supporting
evidence.  Please refer to the posts of Gilbert
Lawrence on the subject of the evidence you so glibly
cite, without presenting any, and debate that part
with him if you choose to.  Such details are his
forte.

Vivek writes:

> I also belive that such wanton acts of religious
> extremism in the past should not be used to justify
> and encourage more such acts in our present times.
>
> At the same times such incidents should not be
> brushed under the carpet under the pretense of
> maintaining "communal harmony" or by refering to
> other issues like sati manusmriti and aryan
> invasion or hindutva.

Mario replies:

I agree.  However, we should not brush one part of
ancient history under the carpet while obsessing on
some other part.  Mentioning that every conquering
group did something does not absolve any of them.
Mentioning one and objecting to any mention of others
indicates some bias.

Vivek writes:

> I belive it would be a good start for all of us if
> accept that what the portuguese and other colonial
> missionaries of bygone era incuding francis xavier
> did was an extreme example of religious bigotry and
> intolerance.

Mario replies:

I hope that you have noted that while I am a
practicing Catholic who focuses on the precepts of the
religion as opposed to the institution and the
personalities that may have besmirched it over the
years, I have called the Portuguese of the Inquisition
period Christian-fascists.  What more do you want from
me?

Vivek writes:

> I also do not agree with your assertion that
> criticising such acts by christian zealots in the
> past is in any way related to "christianity
> bashing".

Mario replies:

Again, I agree with you in principle.  However, why
would we give any special credibility on this issue to
those like Marlon who gleefully bash Christians and
Christianity as a general part of their modus
operandi, while denying they do so?  If you don't
believe me, click on the following URL and see what he
thinks for yourself, in his own words:
http://shire.symonds.net/pipermail/goanet/2006-April/041649.html