Dears,

The World Konkani Day issue of the GOENCHO ULO has gone to print and hard
copies will be distributed on Sunday 20 August, the day in 1992 when Konkani
entered the *8th Schedule of the India Constitution via the 71st
Constitutional Amendment.

For the convenience of those who would like to say a few words of Konkani on
World Goa Day, the issue is being loaded by Joel on www.goacom.com on 19
August.It has a few easy to say snetences in Konkani with the English
translation, courtesy Domnic Fernandes. It will also be available on
www.fullerlife.in soon.

In Goa, the 15th Festival of Plants & Flowers is being celebrated on three
days from 19 to 21 August at SFX School, Siolim. We have to preserve our
environment and our language. Our people have always migrated all over the
world but Goa is changing rapidly. When they come home, there may be no Goa
left. Take interest while there is still time. Money is not a great shake in
Goa anymore. People from all over India, Israel, Russia, USA, Canada have
invested in properties in Goa. Our beach fronts and our markets could be
anywhere else in India. Hindi, Kannada and Oriya are more useful than
Konkani in the market place. If you want that changed, be a part of the
change.

As we bring out this issue, I humbly acknowledge the support and
encouragement of Ben Antao[Canada], Menino Peres [Director of Information &
Publicity], Department of Tourism, Directorate of Agriculture and other
advertisers, the ground work done by Joel D'Souza, Bonaventure D'Pietro
[Editors] Fr. Pratap Naik/ Anagha Kamat  and Preeta Naik of TSKK, Tomazinho
Cardoz [Consultant Editor],  the Production team consisting of Roque
Fernandes, Varsha Jagui, Sapresh Karbe, Lita Pereira and the articles
contributed by Cecil Pinto, Daniel F.D'Souza, Dr. Jayanti Naik[ Goa Konkani
Akademi], Isidore Dantas [Mumbai]. I also thank Tim D'Melo of Goacom.com and
Leo D'Melo of Fuller life for hosting GOENCHO ULO on the websites.

Finally, it is the tremendous reader response that keeps a publication
going. We look forward to people dipping into their long pockets to support
the cause. We will not beg. It is in your interest to support it. It can
help sustain change by giving every Goenckar a voice that can be heard by
fellow Goenkars....in his/her Mai Bhas, Konkani.

Viva Goa.

Miguel