Stranger than Fiction...

By Valmiki Faleiro

This may read like Ripley's "Believe it or not," but is entirely true. Maria
Assumpção Hortencia Olinda Faleiro was the youngest of my father's siblings.
Following the experience of her eldest sister, married to a 'Sá' from Divar,
she and another sister remained spinsters. Instead of a child, Sá gave his
wife VD.

Tia Olinda was brilliant at school, but the family had lost its breadwinner,
her father, when she was barely a year old. Even then, reading had made her
very knowledgeable. She was equally intuitive, and intense in her love for
children, animals and plants. Her pets included a goat and two cats, who
shared her bed. We kids detested her nocturnal company, but not her dreams:
she had an extrasensory gift of 'seeing' occurrences, while asleep. I will
relate three incidents.

The year: around 1925. Both her brothers, Antonio Vicente, the elder, and my
father, were products of St. Mary's school in Bombay. While my father went to
St. Xavier's and thence to Grant Medical College, before joining the
(then) 'Indian Army Medical Corps,' T. Antu became a telegrapher. Tall,
athletic and handsome, he was selected for the cavalry welcome to the visiting
King, George-VI, at the especially built 'Gateway of India.' (Prized souvenir
mugs with pictures of the King and Queen would be smashed to smithereens,
together with trophies and other memorabilia, in his drunken stupors later in
life.)

T. Antu worked for the British government. He came home only on annual leave,
always after informing home in advance. One dawn of that year, T. Olinda told
the household that 'Mano Antu' was arriving that very morning. Nobody believed
her. She said he'd be home by 8a.m., a railway coolie in a red top and white
dhoti carrying his trunk, he following, an umbrella in hand ... she had seen
that in a dream that night!

Lo and behold, around eight, the scene was exactly as it had appeared in the
dream... trunk, coolie, umbrella, all. It happened that a British boss
transferred T. Antu and a Tamilian telegrapher out of turn, from Simla to a
harsher, higher altitude station, favouring their British peers. The two
conspired and beat the daylights out of the boss. T. Antu fled to Portuguese
Goa, heaven knows where the Tamilian hid.

The early '60s. It was my birthday. I must have turned four or five. Up early,
I heard of T. Olinda's dream that her maternal family patriarch and uncle, "T.
Mat-Xavier" had died. Matias Xavier Sá, of Piedade-Divar, had been a highly
ranked officer in the Baroda-Bombay 'Great Indian Peninsular Railway,' now
Central Railway. Most Goans in that railway owed their jobs to him. He ran
a 'comesalidade' (hostelry) for Goan boys in that city. It was at his
initiative that my father and uncle were educated in Bombay.

Nobody dismissed T. Olinda's dreams by now. By 9.00 a.m. arrived the trusted
servant from Divar, with the "participação" (intimation.) Without even opening
it, she shot rapid-fire Qs: had not so-and-so shaved her dead uncle's stubble,
so-and-so dressed the body, so-and-so placed it in the coffin, and carried the
coffin to the parlour? The messenger almost fainted. Every detail was true --
he had been there, and she had not! (Like most in the family, "T. Mat-Xavier"
died in his mid-90s, and exactly as 'seen' by his niece that night, in real
time.)

After the Simla episode, T. Antu's maternal aunt's brother-in-law, Santan
Cota, North India's most renowned bandmaster, took him to Calcutta. Antu was,
it seems, an ace violinist, pianist and dancer. Prof. Joaquim Silva, who
tutored me in French, would relate how Margao damsels boasted for years if
asked for a dance by Antu Falleiro (a privilege.) And how he saw the same man
stagger on the streets, in his twilight years.

Playing music at nightclubs and cinemas (from printed scores, which came with
the film footage, in that age of 'silent cinema') and angst (Santan Cota
allegedly underpaid him), T.Antu got into drinking. He quarreled with his
benefactor and returned home, then played in Bangalore and Madras for some
years. When almost an irredeemable alcoholic, he returned home to spend a few
last messy years. But, as T. Olinda never tired of reminding me, a budding
agnostic, no matter how drunk, he never sat at a meal without reciting grace,
nor slept without his night prayers.

Reflecting his tumultuous life, T.Antu slept in an easy chair at night and in
bed by day. 22nd August 1953, precisely 53 years ago, almost to the day.
Around 3.30 a.m., T. Olinda awoke in cold sweat: a dream showed Antu on bended
knee, at the easy chair, hands folded in prayer, dead. She quickly woke the
others, lit oil lamps (electricity hadn't yet arrived) and went over -- to
find him exactly in the position she saw in the dream moments before...

P.S.: He would have turned 58 the next day, was the youngest to die in family
history, but like most before him, died in the same month as that of his
birth. Strange, but true. (ENDS)

The Valmiki Faleiro weekly column at:

http://www.goanet.org/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=330