Enjoy your holiday in Goa. Stay at THE GARCA BRANCA from November to May
         There is no better, value for money, guest house.
              Confirm your bookings early or miss-out

Hugo and Divtti.

It is a beautiful write - up on Hugo and the second Konkani Daily "Divtti"
in Goa after the ouster of Portuguese rule in Goa.  The first Konkani Daily
in Goa was Soth initiated by the late freedom fighter  Felicio Cardoso which
was later stopped its circulation and merged with the newly established
Divtti edited by Hugo.  Compared to Soth, Divtti was bigger in size and also
bigger in circulation.  Soth was edited by adamant Felicio Cardoso while
Divtti by liberal Hugo who was highly knowledgeable Goan having lot of
intellectual power.  Felicio Cardoso though smart and knowledgeable man yet
in front of Hugo, Felicio was a pigmy.  It was Felicio thru his Soth that
introduced Marathik/Sanskritik Konkani in the name of developped Romi
Konkani.  Romi readership was not prepared to accept that type of Sanskritik
and Marathik type of Konkani immediately after the Bharati Raj in Goa.  In
the bargain, instead of promoting and developing Romi Konkani and its
readership, Soth kileed the Romi readership.  By starting Soth Felicio
Cardoso did a good job but by introducing that type of Konknni he distanced
many of the Romi readers from Soth. Hence, Romi readership relied more on
Bombay Romi weeklies namely The Goa Times, The Goa Mail, Ave Maria and Cine
Times and of course Vavraddeancho Ixtt from Pilar.

Having no other choice, Soth had to put an end to its circulation and
joining hands with Hugo came out with Divtti which lasted for few years but
while Divtti was still in circulation Chowgules came out with another new
daily "Uzvadd" under the editorship of freedom fighter the late Evagrio
George.  It was a big threat for Divtti when Uzvadd came because of the
financial might of Chowgules.  Chowgules as we knew were anti Goan and anti
Konkani.  To promote their views in their direction Chowgules already
started Marathi "Gomantak" to woo the Hindu community towards their
objective but to woo the Catholic community towards their objective they
needed one more medium and that medium finally proved to be the
establishmwent of Uzvadd.  Dr. Simon from Bombay thru his Goa Times opposed
Evagrio George to be the editor of Uzvadd but Evagrio never listened to this
advice and finally he was kicked out of Uzvadd. Then Evagrio George
introduiced his own weekly "Prakash" and finally killed along with another
freedom fighter Mark Fernandes in the bus accident at Panaji near Tourist
Hostel. Coming back to Divtti, I must say that it would have been still
going strong had it not been for the introduction of Uzvadd and precisely
because of this I can rightly say that it was Uzvadd that killed Divtti and
thru this murder the strong voice of Goans in support of Goa and Konkani was
also killed. It is like one Konkani Daily killed another Konkani Daily.

Hugo was a great writer and his editorials always were interesting.  I was a
regular reader of Divtti.  My contact with him started very late when Divtti
was already closed.  I was introduced to him by Gurunath Kelekar when he was
editing his weekly Goencho Mog.  Being its Kuwait correspondent I was very
close to Gurunath and whenever I was visiting Goa I very often used to find
Gurunath and Hugo together.  I even had an opportunity to visit and meet him
at his Raia residence.  He was very well known in his locality,  His
intellectual capacity was already known in his village and people around
used to admire and respect him.  He was a very humble man inspite of being
an intellectual giant.  Once during  my conversation with him at his
residence, he told me that if Romi Konkani is to get that much of importance
then we must produce great intellectual Romi writers and not "nankattai" as
we see many amongsts us today.  It is a pity that currently we dont have
great Romi writers to woo the readership to us. Many of the current Romi
Writers are of low level and precisely because of this low standard, few
Nagrivadis are dominating over us. If Romi Konkani journalism is to come up
then it must come out from the hands of some of the "hoi-polloi Potrakar"
who are not only doing injustice to the readers  but also doing injustice to
Romi Konkani by displaying their idiotic minds and illiteracy.  Hugo was a
staunch reader of my writings in Goencho Mog and Novem Goem and he many time
complimented me. He once requested me to write a book in Romi Konkani on my
writings on "World Soccer"  while Gurunath Kelekar requested me to bring it
out in Nagri script to enable me to get Sahitya Academy Award which are till
now doled out on silver platter to few chamchas of Kelekars - Bhembres -
Naiks etc.

In the death of Hugo I lost a good admirer, Goa and Konkani lost an eminent
personality.  May his soul rest in peace and may Goa produce more of such
journalists.

A. Veronica Fernandes,
Kuwait.