Enjoy your holiday in Goa. Stay at THE GARCA BRANCA from November to May
         There is no better, value for money, guest house.
              Confirm your bookings early or miss-out

30/09/2006
Shri Shantaram L Naik,
Member of Parliament,
Rajya Sabha,
NEW DELHI

Respected Sir,

You are kindly aware that the Feast of St Francis de
Assisi celebrated on 4th October,  every year at the
Anjediv Islands, near Karwar was stopped following the
partial collapse of the Chapel.

The Church of Our Lady of Springs "Nossa Senhora de
Brotas" which was in similar condition was repaired on
18th May 2004 following persistent demands by this
writer. Unfortunately the Chapel continued in a
dilapidated state despite our protests, against its
desecration by the INS KADAMABA Sea Bird Project
Karwar.

Following your mention in June 2005 in Parliament to
permit the celebration of the Feast of Our Lady of
Springs "Nossa Senhora de Brotas" on 2nd February at
the  Church at Anjediv and the Feast of St Francis de
Assisi on 4th October, strictly in terms of the
conditions precedent to allowing the Sea Bird Project
on the Island,  the people of Canacona, Karwar and
almost all Goans world wide were delighted at the
prospect of restoration of both the Feast on 4th
October and 2nd February.

Last fortnight there have been frantic telephonic
messages received by me to confirm whether the Feast
of St Francis de Assissi will be celebrated this year
on 4th October.

They have been assured of positive steps in that
direction and accordingly have made all preliminary
arrangements for the Feast at short notice,

Kindly note that they are interested in celebrating
the Feast on 4th October, even in the half dilapidated
structure, which can be partially restored and cleaned
up in a day.

The undersigned therefore humbly requests your kind
self  to take up the matter with the Defence
authorities  on a priority basis  to permit the
devotees to be allowed on the Island a day before for
making the arrangements and on the Feast day.

You are kindly aware that with Vice Admiral Suresh
Mehta , AVSM  a close relative of late Dr Jack
Sequeira family at the helm of affairs his good
offices could help in resolving the issues once for
all in the interests of the devotees and the people of
Goa.

All activities will strictly be restricted to prayer
and worship   and the devotees would move back to the
land before 1600 hrs.

They can be subjected to strict security checks, and
the Navy could provide for drinking water and
transportation to the devotees.

Kindly advise the action taken in the matter.

With sincere regards and thanks in anticipation of a
favourable reply.

GODFREY J. I. GONSALVES,
BORDA, MARGAO, 403 602, GOA. (INDIA)
+91 98221 58584 (24 HRS)