      If you would like to sponsor Goanet's operations contact:

                  Herman Carneiro - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dear Jose,

You are right only because I think it is too late for Goa to be independent.

In the 1960s, Goans should have demanded to be given a choice, through a
formal plebiscite, probably organised by the UN, just like it happened in
East Timor in 2000.

But we were too "sossegado" and we allowed ourselves to be conquered, yet
again.

But if someday in the future India starts breaking-up, like George says it
may be possible, then I would definitely defend the idea of an independent
state of Goa. At the moment, it is just impossible.

Question is: Will Goans still have Goa in the future? Will Goa still
maintain its distinguished cultural identity in the future?

It is difficult to tell, especially with so many Goans leaving Goa and so
many emigrants moving to Goa.

Each time I visit Goa I hear more and more Hindi and less and less Konkani.
And with Marathi given equal status to Konkani, it is just a question of
time for Marathi to replace Konkani completely. I have no doubt.
With Konkani gone, that will be the end of our cultural identity. Just my
opinion.

Best regards
Paulo.