On Aug 10, 2014, at 5:14 AM, Rose Fernandes <mel...@orange.net> wrote:

" My mother would make lots of snacks such as chutneys sandwiches, beef
patties....and for our lunch we generally had chicken or mutton biryani ....
Teatime was plenty of hot tea with home made cake or baath .... etc...My mother
made an amazing curry from ... shellfish."

Ola  Rose,

Good to hear from you ( as usual ).

You brought back a different nostalgia with green chutney sandwiches and those
delightful patties (which we now try to recreate with ready made puff pastry).
My Mom too would make an amazing curry with Tisreos. Not very sure how the
present pollution level affects today's shellfish in Goa.

Not surprising to read about Biriyani. That must be the result of the  Omani
and Zanzibarian influence.

With all this talk about food, you surely realise that I love to cook - esp
after a busy day at work. Ema often says that when she invests in a take-away,
she would employ me as a cook. She must have been reading too many books about
Nehru, Goans and Cooks (:-). Either that or I am the best 'Find whatever there
is in the pantry, try my luck with whatever spices (usually Shan) I can find
and hope for the best' artist.

Back to Gabe's video, I could not help noticing the absence of garbage strewn
all over the place.

good wishes

jc