Am referring to radio, the prime means of communication and music promotion
of those times.

While AIR (All India Radio) at Altinho had its daily afternoon fix of
Western music, often with 'Yours Truly' Imelda behind the phone, if one
recalls right, for maybe an hour or so, we had to struggle to tune in to
the Sri Lanka Broadcasting Corporation* early mornings or after 6 pm. While
the morning transmissions continued till 10 am, by the time the sun moved
overhead, propagation was poor and we could only get snatches of music.

Radio Australia, with its own peculiar accents and musical tastes, came in
till a little later, maybe till 11.30 am or noon. I often heard this music
wafting out of Uncle Jack's St. Anthony Cottage, while passing by! But our
Tricity Chetana set, bought from Mr Dalal, was driven by radio valves and
its ability to catch DX (distant-and-unknown) radio stations was rather
limited.

The only other option was Friday night, Your Favourites (where college boys
and other pranksters sent out mischievous 'requests' in their 'friends'
names) from Panjim. Or 'Saturday Date' from the distant and
lacking-in-power AIR-Bombay, 10-11 pm weekly. I remember how thrilled we
were to realise that we could get some more Western music on Wednesdays
around the same time, also from Bombay!

Of course, there were LPs and 45rpms on records, but those were few and far
to come by... besides being costly. Some of the returning Africanders had
good collections of LPs, which got weather beaten in time.

Nobody knows what happened to the Renaissance Portuguesa programme on
Friday nights. Is it still around, or given a quiet burial?

All this, put together, one assumes because I was not around in those
times, was a far cry from the Emissora de Goa Western music output, when
Goa was a popular radio station being heard as far away as in East Africa.
Correct me if I'm wrong; Domnic Fernandes has written a detailed piece on
AIR's programmes in Goa.

It was therefore my perception that Western music was seen as 'politically
incorrect' in the 1960s and 1970s, at least in the officially-controlled
channels which were dominant then. FN

* Incidentally, for SLBC (formerly Radio Ceylon) fans, there's a rich fare
of old nostalgic recordings of this station on http://www.youtube.com --
Vernon Corea, and others [
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-features/tp-sundaymagazine/when-ceylon-ruled-the-airwaves/article3219259.ece
]