--
Samir Umarye

BICHOLIM: Kamlakant has four children, a wife, and a mother to feed. He is
distraught to know that he now has to spend half of his hard- earned money
fighting to save his fields, not from wild animals, but from electricity
poles.

This is the story of Kamlakant Shablo Pilayenkar, a 42- year- old farmer
from Ambeshi- Pale, Bicholim. Last month, the electricity department
erected poles in the middle of his paddy fields to supply electricity to
another house. Since then, he is running from pillar to post with just one
demand: removal of the electricity poles.

“ When there was an issue of giving electricity to a household, I had
submitted the objection to the panchayat, who in turn had forwarded it to
the electricity department. In spite of all this, we were in for a rude
shock when the department erected the poles on April 16,” said Kamlakant.

He added, “ We are totally dependent on our fields, and I had asked the
department to erect the poles by the side of my property. But, now these
poles have been erected right in the middle of the field and I will have
problem in cultivating the fields.” After the incident, a puzzled Kamlakant
approached the deputy collector. He was in for another rude shock as the
deputy collector refused to take his application. Since the last month, he
approached many people regarding the issue, but the electricity poles still
stand tall.

Pale ex- sarpanch, Shiva Mulgaonkar, came to his rescue.

“ When the deputy collector declined to take his application, he sent it
through registered post and got the acknowledgment.

He complained to the Bicholim police and also wrote to the electricity
department, but nothing fruitful has come out,” Mulgaonkar told Herald.

Kamlakant also went to the local MLA, only to return empty- handed. He also
made an application to the electricity department under RTI, but was told
that since the property was common and undivided, the department had taken
NOC from the ‘ majority’ of the owners.

“ His family has worked in these fields since last many years; however, now
after the poles, he might not be able to use a tractor to plough the
fields. There is also a possibility that during rainy season he might get
an electric shock, but no one is bothered about this as he is just a poor
farmer,” said Mulgaonkar.

He added, “ We strongly feel that political pressure is working in this
matter and so no one is giving heed to his pleas. The panchayat is with
Kamlakant and has supported him every time when the issue was raised.”