Hi Naguesh,India’s tragedy is that it has not produced distinguished leaders -
philosopher-statesmen like China, Singapore or Vietnam. The usual bunch of
Indian leaders have tended to be soaked in religious traditions or rituals and
have shown little intellectual acument.

Nehru was lucky because the British got him educated at a top institution in
England where he encountered new ideas and disciplines like History &
Philosophy which no doubt helped him fashion a new worldview. His fluency in
English helped him express his new thinking in this foreign language. The
vernaculars were no match for English.

But subsequent PMs (after Indira Gandhi) did not pass out from world class
institutions and their performance was predictably and consistently mediocre.
Quality and excellence have continued to elude Indian institutions and leaders.
Indian leaders have never been erudite and farsighted enough to compare with
East Asia.

PM Modi seems basically a peasant or village leader who has picked up modern
trappings here and there. But he certainly is unable to formulate an integral
vision of development. He is most at home with sadhus and swamis. He's coarse &
undiplomatic; he can't open up to minority cultures. The Hindu rulers just send
the Indian armies or police to control minority regions - Kashmir (Muslims),
North East (Christians), Central India (tribals).

It may be worth quoting from Mr Jagmohan’s My Frozen Turbulence published in
1991.

There is something basically wrong in present-day India that takes her astray
in almost every sphere of life. The country requires fundamental reforms in the
realm of ideas. During my somewhat tumultuous and eventful in public service, I
was fortunate to have had a close look at the state of our institutions. All
along I felt that some vital planks were missing in our edifice. It was bound
to totter and it often did.
We need a re-awakened and rejuvenated Hinduism that has shed its flabbiness,
cleared its clogged arteries and recouped its vigour and buoyancy. This new
Hinduism would create a new Hindu who is just, compassionate, creative and
contemplative; a Hindu with a clean conscience, one who believes in the
fundamental unity of man

Eddie

    On Monday, 26 June 2017, 23:26, Naguesh Bhatcar <sgbhat...@hotmail.com>