We need to stand up for the truth in these times when it is not popular to
do so. All that flowery oratory and pep talk by the Prime Minister Narendra
Modi has not taken our nation forward. Of course, he keeps preaching that
the nation must progress but his private agenda not in keeping with the
larger interests of the nation, puts him on the wrong track and for that he
doesn't enjoy the confidence of the people of this nation.

The RSS, with its best of intentions to make India leader of the world, is
on the wrong path because of its religion-dominated agenda and the hatred
to all other creeds arising from its patriotism. Some of the RSS men may be
fine individuals but their patriotism fills them with bitterness and wrath
towards every other creed that does not bow down to Bharat Mata.

Patriotism is the last resort of the scoundrel, wrote Tolstoy in his essay
on "Government and Patriotism in the 1900s and it was promptly banned by
the then Russian government. Tagore did not approve of militant nationalism
and wrote a book ('Nationalism') which reportedly was approved as a
textbook by the British University.

This patriotism-induced blindness is making it a force against the very
Constitution of India which believes in secularism and guarantees equality,
justice, and a fair playing field to every citizen of the country
regardless of caste, creed or religion. Its narrow loyalty almost turns
into a communal spirit, causing untold damage to unity and development of
this nation. It is forced to resort to undemocratic and fascist ways to
achieve its hidden goals. In this context, the evil of Communalism poses a
far greater threat to this nation than even the cancer of Corruption.

What is more anguishing is that this devious coterie of so called champions
of patriotism are slowly spreading poison in the minds of the silent
majority of the majority community which is only dragging our country
backwards. The gruesome murders of writers, thinkers and journalists and
the brazen suppression of the media with the ruling party shedding
crocodile tears, does not augur well for the very survival of our
democracy.

There is a desperate need for unity among all political and secular forces
who believe in our Constitution, in equality and freedom. Let the nation
wake up to an old warning by Edmund Burke:  *"The only thing necessary for
the triumph of **evil** is for good men to do nothing."*

Aires Rodrigues

Advocate High Court

C/G-2, Shopping Complex

Ribandar Retreat,