SAMIR UMARYE
BICHOLIM: PWD office looks like a battleground with people thronging to demand
water tankers; PWD’s response is there is a fault at the Padoshe water
treatment plant; Zatra and other festivities might get affected with no water

Several villages from Bicholim and Mayem constituencies have been left without
water since last eight days with many people including the Bicholim MLA, Rajesh
Patnekar approaching the PWD to solve the problem.

But going “dry” during the festive week hasn’t quite amused the locals. And
with the water crisis looming large, they are angrily bracing up for a dry
start to the new year

The locals along with along with MLA Patnekar have approached the PWD to solve
this major problem. Every day the PWD office looks like a battleground with
people marching to this government office either with a complaint or with a
request to at least send a water tanker to their area.

“We have a zatra and other festivities in our village and there is no water
since last eight days and we don’t know what to do,” said Kirtimala Karapurkar
from Kudapwada Karapur, who was one of the many to march to the PWD.

“Most housewives keep the utensils unwashed with a hope that the PWD would
supply them with water but for how many days should we keep our household work
pending? The government officials and the ministers do not know what it is like
to live without water for so many days,” Kirtimala said.

“The PWD does not have its own tankers to supply water but it hires these
tankers from private agencies during emergency. It is difficult to know what is
happening and government should look into this and should supply us with
water,” Komal Waingankar, a resident said adding that “there are still several
months to go and we don’t know what would be the situation during summer.”

“If we come to PWD office we are told that there is a fault at the Padoshe
water treatment plant. Most of the time there is no official to listen to our
grievances as the concerned official is reported to be either on leave or at
some other site where he has been given additional posting. In such
circumstances we do not know what to do. We just submit the memorandum and go
home with an assurance that water supply will resume by evening,” Komal added.

According to the PWD officials, the problem mostly lies with the Padoshe water
treatment plant and at times it takes around two days to repair the same.

“We have to bear the brunt of the people when the real problem lies with the
water treatment plant,” a PWD official informed on the condition of anonymity.

 “It is surprising that the officials and the departments are passing the buck
on each other when there is no water for the general public. If the bill is not
paid, the PWD officials immediately take action but when it comes to giving
proper services they do not even meet us.” said an angry Deelip Dhargalkar from
Lamgao