BICHOLIM: The Government primary school building, located in the heart of the
city, is in a dilapidated state with the parents giving an ultimatum to the
govt to either repair the building or face agitations.

The government primary school building is having classes from Std I to VIII
with strength of about 500 students. The building is craving for attention
since last several years as the incidents of portion of slab getting collapsed
were reported several times.

The foundation stone for construction of a new building was laid in December
2016 by the then Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar and it was promised that
work would soon commence. But two years down the line nothing has changed.

The building which is located in the heart of the town is busy throughout the
year. It houses the taluka library and also hosts Bal Bhavan classes.

“We are only given assurances by the government since last two years. There are
less teachers, no laboratory, no balrath while aided schools are given all the
facilities,” said Shrikrishna Dhond who is always in the forefront.

“The building is in a very dangerous condition. Slab is collapsing every now
and then. The entrance of the building is very weak and we don’t know what will
happen during monsoon season,” Dhond said adding “since last eight to ten years
we are demanding for a new building but nothing is happening.

The PTA is now fed up and the parents are thinking of resorting to agitation.
“Are they waiting for the election to come so that the work could be
undertaken?” Dhond asks.

“This government school has maximum students but the government is totally
neglecting the pleas of the parents,” said Rajan Sawaikar. “The CM had promised
that by December 2017 all the problems would be solved but nothing has
happened. It is surprising that there is not even a clerk in the school to do
the work.”

“About 12 hours this building is busy with students and in case of any untoward
incident the government would be totally responsible for it.”

The Bicholim MLA, Rajesh Patnekar, said that he is doing everything for the
school. “It was because of me that the school got NOC for starting Std VIII and
all the allegations of the parents are baseless”, Patnekar said. “Already Rs 9
crores have been sanctioned for the building and the work would also be taken
up at the earliest.”