Goanet recommends, and is proud to be associated with,
'Domnic's Goa' - A nostalgic romp through a bygone era.
This book is the perfect gift for any Goan, or anyone
wanting to understand Goa. Distributed locally by
Broadway, near Caculo Island, Panjim & internationally
by OtherIndiaBookStore.Com. For trade enquiries contact
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dear Listers,

Domnic Fernandes' three-part article on Monsoon Preparations and Provision
is not only extremely timely but also brings back memories of the Goa of
old. The highly informative article, has now, become a hallmark for all
articles by Domnic guaranteeing the reader, especially the younger
generation of Goan or anyone interested in Goa of an insight to the times
when Goa was a place of tranquility, bliss and cooperation rarely known in
this day and time.

This particular series of articles set me thinking of the amount of
preparations which had to me made for the season which most of us take for
granted today, although I'm sure that in some areas of Goa renovation of the
roof still has to be done to prevent rainwater from seeping into the house.
However, the storing of provisions has been left in the past for the
majority of Goans.

>From the articles one can picture the Goa of old as a place demanding hard
work on the part of the  individual as most of the work had to be undertaken
by the community itself thereby making the community (village) not only
self-sufficient but also creating a bond of everlasting friendship and
fellowship which this sort of cooperation brings.

Unfortunately, with the onset of modernity and the nuclear family this
spirit of bonding has fallen by the way side. This is sad and unfortunate.

I remember, in my youth, the ladies of the community would gather at each
others houses to lending a helping had to accomplish a task or help a
neighbour out. This was evident especially at Christmas time for the making
of traditional Goan sweets.
Alas, not so today....when most of the sweets are purchased from non-Goan
bakers.

Domnic, after your very successful book, we, the ardent followers of your
writings look forward to Volume Two !!!

Michael Ali
Karachi, Pakistan