Recently, I have stopped going to parties: birthday parties, wedding
parties, and all kinds of celebrations. I draw the line at funerals,
though. I never miss a funeral.

I find people at a funeral most sane. For some reason death has the
power of making people sane, and even the most materialistic mind
sobers up when there is a dead body in the room. For this reason, I
love funerals and never decline an invitation to a funeral.

What is the magic which death holds to make everyone alert? Religion
exists only because of death, some people say. Without it there would
be no religion. I say, without death we would be totally insane. Thank
you death for your kindness.

At a recent funeral I attended, I put my arm around a man, and said,
"Aren't funerals wonderful? Imagine, without death, how crazy we would
be?" He looked like he had been talking to a ghost.

We live in a very corrupt society in Goa today. Our society is similar
to ancient Greece, a small country in Europe which put an end to
Socrates. Hypocrisy, and not much else. He was accused of corrupting
the youth. In Greece, as in Goa today, truth has as much a chance of
surviving as Socrates or Jesus.

I want to have a happy funeral. Death is the other face of life. I
think it is a pity we cannot take a selfie in death as we can in life.
Maybe one day it will be possible to take a selfie as technology is
now moving, I'm told, faster than the speed of light. Who knows what
the future might bring? So, if you do end up at my funeral even if I
cannot smile, please do. And, don't forget to take a selfie!

Also, enjoy the music. I have chosen Vivaldi's Four Seasons as it is
the most complete piece of music I know. With death we complete a
circle. For people who believe in reincarnation and say the game is
not over yet, I concede: okay if it is the end of one cycle ride and
the beginning of another, no problem, !'m game!

My way, my wake is going to be filled with music. I do not wish to be
buried or boiled but grilled. No gas burner for me, please, as there
might not be a cylinder available, as you know, governance in Goa has
come to an end. Sticks and twigs are okay. No need for an expensive
casket either as the box is going to be burnt anyway.

A few green, eco-friendly crackers would be fine. After all, I do not
have to go with a bang.