One of the most momentous moments of my life was when I appeared for the
first time before the Supreme Court of India.

It was as a college student in 1986. Our then Chief Minister Pratapsingh
Rane had appointed Panaji’s Industrialist David Menezes as Chairman of
Panjim Planning and Development Authority (PDA) as it was then known.

It was my contention that the now late David Menezes was a very reputed
industrialist and a gentleman but lacked the knowledge of Town and Country
Planning required for that post. Having been unsuccessful in challenging it
before our High Court, I took the Bombay-Delhi Rajdhani Express and moved
the Supreme Court.

My petition came up for hearing before a bench headed by the then Chief
Justice P.N Bhagwati who, while agreeing that persons with knowledge of
Planning and Development should have been  appointed,  very politely
declined to intervene ruling that the appointment was the prerogative of
the State Government.

At least in 1986 it was an honest industrialist who was appointed. Later
the PDAs have been dens controlled and manipulated by ruling politicians.
We have seen how for Panaji an additional layer by way of Greater Panaji
Planning and Development Authority was created to accommodate a power
hungry political bigwig. That Power Corrupts and Absolute Power corrupts
absolutely sums it all.

Raising public issues over the last 40+ years has not been an easy task.
While highlighting any issues it is bound to hurt some and I must have hurt
one too many. But one has to have the spine to speak out against things
that are wrong and nothing should deter one’s commitment to highlight any
injustice or illegality that is seen. As Martin Luther King famously said,
‘There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe nor
politic nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is
right’.

I am content that over the years I have been able in my own little way to
serve society without holding any position of power.  Looking back, I do
not regret having taken up issues I did.  One pays a heavy price and
fighting public causes does take a toll on your health too. Now at 60, it
may be time to slow down but not to be entirely silent.

And as Martin Luther advised ‘Our lives begin to end the day we become
silent about things that really matter’.

Aires Rodrigues

Advocate High Court

C/G-2, Shopping Complex

Ribandar Retreat,