While we are in the midst of battling this over a year long vicious
COVID-19 raging Pandemic, let us not forget to pay homage today to our very
revered Dr. Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar, the Father of our Indian Constitution,
on his 130th birth Anniversary.

We need to be reminded that Dr Ambedkar who was a symbol of knowledge must
never have visualized that thick skinned persons without integrity but with
never ending greed for Power and Wealth would ever be occupying very high
Constitutional posts. He had so aptly said ‘However good a Constitution
maybe, if those who are implementing it are not good, it will prove to be
bad. However bad a Constitution maybe, if those implementing it are good,
it will prove to be good’.

It is anguishing and so deeply distressing that our great nation has been
for some years going through political turmoil on account of which so many
precious lives have and are being lost.

Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar and his team had burnt the midnight oil to draft our
great Indian Constitution to keep our country secular and democratic for
posterity. We can never forget Dr. Ambedkar as well as the Great Mahatma
and all that they strived to achieve. Gandhi once said “The future depends
on what you do today”.

Politics today is no longer a dedicated voyage of selflessly serving the
Society. It has become a personal investment business venture, more
self-serving than public servants. My Political Science Professor in
college had termed Politics as a scoundrel’s last resort. So very right was
he. Today even at the grass root level it has become a ruthless business
paying very high monetary dividends , with morals and ethics twisted,
thrown to the winds while arrogance and thuggery ruling the roost.

We can only remind those in Power of those words of Joel Osteen “You can
live your life angry, bitter, mad at somebody or even guilty, not letting
go of your own mistakes, but you won't receive the good things God has in
store”.

And when will our Politicians be inspired by what the great American writer
Alfred Armand Montapert had to say “The main source of our wealth is
goodness. The affections and the generous qualities that God admires in a
world full of greed”.

The final thoughts on this anniversary of Dr. Ambedkar are best remembered
in his wise thoughts; ‘’If you ask me my ideal would be the society based
on liberty, equality and fraternity’’. ‘’One cannot have any respect or
regard for men who take the position of the reformer and then refuse to see
the logical consequences of that position, let alone following them out
inaction’’.

Aires Rodrigues

Advocate High Court

C/G-2, Shopping Complex