September 9

A horrific accident a few days ago killed one of India's best-known
business people, Cyrus Mistry. Many people are still going over all the
details, agonizing over what happened. (Recently, I was in a long
discussion with someone reading this, you know who you are so hello.)

Anyway, it got me thinking about accident numbers. And that reminded me of
another recent headline - India's economy has overtaken the UK's. Numbers
to think about there as well...

... and thus my column for today Sept 9: Buckle up, numbers aplenty ahead,
https://www.livemint.com/opinion/columns/buckle-up-numbers-aplenty-ahead-11662667113571.html

Let me know if the numbers resonate with you.

yours,
dilip

---

Buckle up, numbers aplenty ahead
-----------------
Dilip D'Souza

A few days ago, we heard that India's economy had overtaken the UK's. This
makes India the 5th-largest in the world; ahead are the USA, China, Germany
and Japan. This milestone was cause for celebrations in some circles,
certainly a reflection of our growing economy.

A few days ago as well, a horrific car accident killed Cyrus Mistry and
Jehangir Pandole. This tragedy got plenty of people thinking about road
safety measures. Sadly, neither Mistry or Pandole were wearing their
rear-seat safety belts.

In this column, I will toss at you some figures about these two happenings.
Perhaps they will give them some context, and you something to think about.

If you think about it, India becoming the world's 5th-largest economy was
almost inevitable. Why so? Because this is a huge country. As more and more
of its citizens are more and more economically active, its economy will
naturally grow. Eventually the sheer numbers who live and work within our
borders mean we will overtake most other countries, especially the ones
that have far fewer people than we do.

Consider: The UK has 67.2 million people. India is at about 1.4 billion -
twenty times larger. Whatever the reasons - colonialism, industrialization,
etc - the UK's economy had a yawning headstart on ours in 1947. 75 years
later, that lead has dwindled to zero, as it had to. In much the same
inexorable way, we will likely overtake Germany (population: 83 million)
and Japan (126 million) sometime relatively soon. What about China and the
US? Well, China's population is about the same as ours, and those
countries' economies are about 5 (China) and 7 (US) times larger than ours.
So their lead will persist for a long time.

But these mentions of population and economies raise an intriguing
question. If we compare countries' economies by their overall size, should
we also compare them per capita? After all, to the average citizen, per
capita income is the measure that is relevant. The life that the average
citizen lives is shaped far more immediately by the income she makes than
the overall state of her country's economy.

For this column, let's divide GDP by population to arrive at per capita
income. Looked at that way, India's per capita income is a little more than
$2000. The UK's is about twenty times that, at about $40,000. Looked at
that way, we haven't overtaken the UK at all.

So which of these comparisons is "right"? Both, really. India's economy is
certainly growing, and is now larger than the UK's. That's a milestone to
savour. Still, I would bet the average Indian sees herself, and the
majority of her fellow-citizens, as far less prosperous than the average
resident of the UK. The respective per capita incomes tell that latter
story.

Turn now to the accident. The two deaths spurred plenty of commentary about
road design, overspeeding and more, and of course the need to use those
rear-seat safety belts. That last is critical. You've seen the videos that
show the effects of an accident on unbelted mannequins in the rear. You've
seen the figures that suggest use of belts decreases the chance of dying
dramatically. All eye-opening, but for now, focus on some other figures.

When we rank countries not by their economy, but by the number of
road-accident deaths, India is not 5th, nor 3rd. It is nearly the top of
the heap. According to the estimable folks at Our World In Data (
https://ourworldindata.org/), traffic on our roads kills about 200,000
people every year. That's second only to China, where the toll is about
250,000. In this morbid race, no other countries come anywhere close to us
Asian giants; in fact, we outdo all of Africa, all of the Americas and all
of Europe. Brazil (45,000), the US (41,000) and Indonesia (37,000) are the
rest of the top five countries.

Ah, but like with the economy above, what about road death numbers per
capita? Divide those tolls by each country's population to find that for
every million of their residents, Brazil loses about 211 people to traffic
accidents, China 179, India 145, Indonesia 135 and the US 124. So among
these five large countries, Brazil tops, pushing India to third place.

Do the per capita numbers make you look at accident tolls a little
differently? But wait: there are other ways to look at them that might tell
different stories. (For the rest of this essay, I'll stick to the US, China
and India.)

For example, how many traffic accidents in each country? The US is a
runaway world leader, with about 2.2 million accidents annually. India's
count is at about 500,000, and China about 212,000. (Data from the
International Road Federation in Geneva.) Divide the death tolls by these
numbers, and what they suggest is that accidents vary widely, and
surprisingly, in how deadly they are. Someone dies with every 50th accident
in the US, but every second one in India and every single one in China.

If you find that hard to swallow, it probably is. What these numbers may
really suggest is that many accidents in India and China are simply not
reported to authorities; that even what Indians might consider minor
"fender-benders" make it to the list of American accidents.

What if we factor in vehicle ownership? China leads the world there, with
307 million motor vehicles. Second and third are the US and India, with 291
million and 89 million respectively. Do the arithmetic to find that for
every million vehicles, the US has 141 deaths in accidents. China, 814
deaths. India, 2247.

(Aside: Though remember that these ownership figures don't account for
two-wheelers, which in India are about three times as numerous as other
motor vehicles. I'll leave the consequent arithmetic to you.)

Sobering, that 2247? That's what statistics can do. Sliced one way, they
appear reassuring, worth celebrating. Sliced another, sobering. Take your
pick. But whatever you do, please please buckle up.

--
My book with Joy Ma: "The Deoliwallahs"
Twitter: @DeathEndsFun