The International governing body of Association Football (FIFA) has been
trying its best to cleanse the game of its political rot and restore its
tarnished image. Despite all its attempts, the All-India Football
Federation continues to resist to change for the better, with the BJP
recently being able to foist its candidate as President, enabling politics
to outplay football.

In Goa it needed our High Court to show Goa Football Association President
Churchill Alemao the red card and show him the door as he was clinging to
the post well past even extra time and penalties. The exit of Churchill
Alemao gives hope for Football in Goa to restore its glory of yester years.
The Goa Football Association in conjunction with
the Goa Football Development Council must now do everything possible to
reclaim the game’s past glory. We are well past added time or extra time to
reform and restore the glory that our popular sport urgently needs.

Churchill Alemao, despite having crossed 70 over three years ago, was
desperately and frantically craving control of the GFA for another term.
That too having a criminal case against him which as per the GFA regulation
Art 27 (f) is a direct disqualification from holding any post. The
All-India Football Federation regulations and the Model Sports Code mandate
that once you attain the age of 70 you cannot continue as President.

For the sake of Football, Churchill Alemao should have gracefully hung up
his boots and made way for someone young and capable with real appeal to
lead and take our popular sport forward rather than continuing its
stagnation.  Someone with soccer experience, appeal and a vision for the
success that our sport is crying out for. A proven leader, who is really
dedicated to making a difference with good governance and by encouraging
and supporting our youth to enjoy the popular game with a burning passion
and desire for success.

It is a shame that Churchill Alemao had to be booted out by the High Court.
Having had no choice in the matter, he accepted the Court’s verdict rather
than ask the famous question ‘On what grounds did the Court reach its
verdict’?
Adv. Aires Rodrigues

C/G-2, Shopping Complex

Ribandar Retreat