The decision to activate the Goa Staff Selection Commission which has been
defunct from its very inception is a step in the right direction and about
time too. But it needs to be ensured that Ministers and MLAs should have no
role whatsoever directly or indirectly in the recruitment which should be
done through a very transparent and meticulous process with merit being the
sole guiding criteria in the selection of every government employee to any
post. Integrity would also be a very desirable and necessary attribute if
people are to have trust in the system and those serving them, something
increasingly lacking of late!

As almost the entire senior bureaucracy is bowing and bending to the
political bosses, it would be appropriate for this Commission to be headed
by a retired High Court Judge to ensure that there is no political
interference and manipulation in the selection of staff. Integrity of the
selectors and transparency in the process must always be beyond question
and doubt.

After the BJP in Goa came to power in 2012, we have seen thousands being
brazenly recruited into government service with merit thrown to the winds.
All this is reflecting today in the pathetic functioning of the government
offices with very incompetent staff having managed to creep in by paying
for their jobs or blessings of their political god fathers.

If we are to attract and retain high calibre quality staff and reap the
benefits of a successful recruitment process, then it is imperative that we
select staff based on merit and integrity and not on any political or
financial inducements or any other bias.

The late Nelson Mandela placed great emphasis on these selection criteria
with his famous quote’ My respect for human beings is based not on the
colour of a man’s skin nor authority he may wield, but purely on merit’.

Adv. Aires Rodrigues

C/G-2, Shopping Complex

Ribandar Retreat

Ribandar – Goa – 403006