https://www.heraldgoa.in/Edit/By-invitation/Mazel-tov-Nadav-Lapid/198320

We’re almost at the end of an extremely tumultuous end-pandemic twelve
months filled with astonishing events, but there is no doubt who is Man of
The Year when it comes to speaking truth to power, and standing up for what
is right. That is Nadav Lapid, chairman of the jury at the 53rd
International Film Festival of India, who showed his mettle right here in
Goa last month by simply stating what everyone already knows, but is afraid
to say in public. What is more, the 47-year-old Israeli auteur never backed
off, and kept on quietly repeating the facts in an act of public courage
that both shames and inspires the rest of us. Mazel Tov to him, and toda
raba as well.

It was bears repeating what exactly set off the astonishing media maelstrom
with Lapid at its epicentre. After an unusually smooth and efficient
edition of Asia’s oldest - and India’s largest - banquet of international
cinema, in which the jury saw 15 movies for consideration for the
prestigious Golden Peacock award (it was eventually won by the Costa Rican
production *I Have Electric Dreams*), its chairman’s evaluative comments at
the closing ceremony (which included the Minister of Information and
Broadcasting, and Israel’s Ambassador to India) culminated with these
lines: “We were all of us disturbed and shocked by the 15th film, *The
Kashmir Files*, that felt to us like a propaganda, vulgar movie
inappropriate for an artistic competitive section of such a prestigious
film festival. I feel totally comfortable to share openly these feelings
here with you on stage since the spirit of the festival can truly accept
also a critical discussion, which is essential for art and for life.”

As we know, all hell then broke loose. Social media was bad enough – though
it was sad to see some Goans who should know better act intemperately - but
television was even worse. For just one example, it will be impossible to
forget Rahul Kanwal’s shrill hectoring of Lapid. Another lowlight occurred
when the Israeli ambassador barraged his own countryman with nonsensical
non sequiturs on Twitter: “In Indian culture they say that a guest is like
God. You have abused in the worst way the Indian invitation to chair the
panel of judges at @IFFIGoa as well as the trust, respect and warm
hospitality they have bestowed on you” and “The friendship between the
people and the states of India and Israel is very strong and will survive
the damage you have inflicted.”

These kinds of media-driven maelstroms are not rare, and have become even
more common in our era of creeping totalitarianism. We have reached past
the point George Orwell predicted in *Nineteen Eighty-Four*, where there
are many perfectly true things that are effectively taboo “thoughtcrimes”,
and if you are suspected to harbour this “crimethink” the mob will
definitely be unleashed. That is precisely what happened at IFFI last
month, but it didn’t end up as usual, because, instead of meekly
apologizing and then disappearing - which is what everyone expected – Lapid
turned back to India and carefully explained why he spoke out, and what is
at stake.

“I don’t regret what I said about *The Kashmir Files*,” the Israeli
director told New Indian Express, in just one of many interviews: “I had
the feeling it needed to be stated. At a certain level, the way things
turned out, I think my intuition was right; these words needed to be
spoken.” He explained that “the story is not about me. It’s not even about
the film. The real question is something different. People can like or
dislike or admire or hate a movie. All of this is valid, and I’m not
against an emotional, engaged discussion. However, a big part of the
reactions to what I said was sheer madness. At the end of the day, it’s
your country, it’s your society, but I ask whether you are scared to speak
your truths because it results in a storm of violence and menace. I saw and
read things in the media and wondered if it is normal to react to a film
critique in this manner.”

Lapid pointed out what has been painfully obvious all along: “*The Kashmir
Files* is a fake film. It is a propaganda film. It behaves as though it is
trying to create a piece of art about life, existence, historical events,
about a moment in time, about human beings – as most movies do. But in the
end, it is just promoting – in my opinion – in an extremely vulgar and
cheap way, an evident set of political positions, using a variety of, what
I consider, extremely cheap cinematic manipulations. Cinematically, I
cannot take this film seriously. From the outside, it seems like a kind of
joke. But the fact that this film has been treated extremely seriously by
its makers – and by many people who watched it – and the decision of the
International Film Festival of India to include it in its most prestigious
international competition section, you feel forced to take a stand on it.”

There is huge credit due to Lapid, because took the trouble to prepare
himself, and did not flinch from the task: “I don’t know how people, who
have been separated from their homes or relatives, and who have been
through these atrocities would react to such a movie. There are all kinds
of reactions. But if I had been connected to such an atrocity, the last
thing that I would have wanted is a film like The Kashmir Files to
represent my voice. I would prefer something more serious. It’s certainly
not my hobby to offend people, but I think sometimes, outrage and offence
are easy tools to silence critical thought and artistic discourse. We are
not children. I would think that the role of art is not just to make people
feel comfortable and nice. Art must be biting and, sometimes, harsh and
offensive. Do it with intelligence and style, not with stupid vulgarity.”