Jan 13 (Friday the 13th!)

You must be tiring of me saying this: yet again I've been lax about sending
out my articles here. Five that I know of. Sorry, then, for inundating your
mailbox!

The first of these was prompted when I found a short video clip of an
octopus. And this octopus was doing something quite unexpected, at least to
me: throwing something at another octopus. I was just charmed, though maybe
the target octopus didn't react like that.

Why did that happen? Read on. This was my Mint column for Friday December
16. Writing it also gave me the chance to remember Ollie Taylor, an
eccentric, sharp and immensely likeable man. I once watched him practicing
playing the drums expertly in his basement - and at the time, he was losing
his eyesight. Go well, Ollie.

In this corner, an octopus throws,
https://www.livemint.com/opinion/columns/in-this-corner-an-octopus-throws-11671125201124.html

cheers,
dilip

---

In this corner, an octopus that throws

Many years ago, Ollie Taylor came visiting from the USA. It was the first
trip to India for this old pal of my father's, and he was delighted by
things that were so different here. Example: cricket, and he asked me to
take him to a match.

The Bombay Ranji team - with Tendulkar, who scored 204 - were playing the
visiting Australians right then. Ollie and I took a bus into town to spend
the second day at the Brabourne Stadium. In a word, he was charmed. He
couldn't get over the whites, the pace and rhythm of the game, the arcane
rules. At home that evening, he handwrote a note about the day to his wife
back in the US, and gave it to me to type up and email to her.

Doing that, I found that one thing about the game had particularly
fascinated Ollie: the way fielders ran after the ball, picked it up and
threw it back to the wicketkeeper. "They're impossibly graceful," he wrote.
"Like watching a ballet."

Throwing a ball, like ballet! I had never thought of it that way, but Ollie
made me look at the game afresh. It is indeed like ballet.

I haven't thought about Ollie and that delicious comparison for years. This
week, I did: prompted, of all things, by some findings about octopuses (In
the line of fire, Godfrey-Smith, Scheel and others, 9 November 2022,
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0276482).

Indeed, the eight-limbed creatures that live on sea-floors. What might
octopuses (octopi?) possibly have in common with Ollie, or the game of
cricket? Only this much: recent research shows that octopi throw things
about, including at ... well, hold on to that thought for a while. I'm not
sure they are graceful in their throws, or if they might remind Ollie of
ballet. But that they throw things, there seems to be no doubt.

How do we know this? A team of researchers in Australia sank underwater
cameras into Jervis Bay, about 150km east of the capital, Canberra. A
particular species of octopus is found in great abundance in Jervis Bay:
Octopus tetricus, known as the Common Sydney Octopus, but also the "gloomy"
octopus. I don't know if that latter name is a reference to the animals'
mindsets when living among their compatriots, or something else altogether.
The thing is, octopuses in general are not overly social animals anyway. As
the paper by these researchers notes: "They hunt alone, may fight on
encounter, and can cannibalize each other." Maybe they are gloomy.

But they are also "dextrous manipulators of objects." They put all eight
arms to work to build the dens they occupy and keep them in shape, using
all kinds of material and objects. One species, for example, is known to
handle discarded coconut shells. The gloomy octopus seems to like rocks and
reefs when it is breeding, but otherwise prefers to live in the softer,
sandier surrounds of the ocean floor. That means these animals must build
themselves some kind of shelter.

What's interesting about their Jervis Bay habitat is that only certain
sites on the floor offer both appropriate shelter and plentiful food. So
the octopuses are not evenly spread around the Bay. Instead, they occupy
"high-density" sites: each one a "sharply limited patch of suitable
habitat" that is home to many gloomy octopuses.

Does that mean we can expect more interaction between these otherwise
anti-social creatures?

Well, yes, and that's putting it mildly. As the researchers report, during
their observations they watched a maximum of about 6 octopuses an hour.
Among these, "interactions were frequent; from 11 up to 234 per hour, [with
an] average of 73." Not so anti-social, after all.

But when the researchers went over their hours of octopus footage, they
found something surprising about these interactions. Among everything the
animals did - foraging for food, eating, building their dens - one specific
behaviour was unexpected and, for animals in general, unusual.

They threw things.

They threw things like empty shells, silt and algae. Typically they would
release one of these objects with an arm. From a siphon under their arms,
they would then shoot a strong jet of water at the object, directing it
where they wanted.

Undoubtedly, some of this was just to get rid of things and material they
no longer needed (wanted?). By itself, discarding stuff isn't unfamiliar
behaviour among animals. Ants, for example, dig into the ground to build
their extensive nests, and discard the earth that's excavated outside. This
is how the astonishing structures we call anthills are formed.

But a still closer look at the footage showed that there was more than
simple discarding going on in Jervis Bay. The octopuses were often seen
throwing things while interacting with each other. In fact, what they throw
like this often hits other octopuses. In one clip, an octopus seems to
extend an arm towards the one who's about to throw something, as if to ward
off the object. It's an uncannily human gesture.

It may also be more evidence to support what the researchers couldn't help
conclude after this experiment: octopuses often throw stuff at other
octopuses.

Different features of these throws lend weight to this fascinating finding.
As the scientists wrote:

* "Throws in interactive contexts were more vigorous than others, and more
often used silt, rather than shells or algae." At least they didn't seem to
want to hurt their compatriots with solid objects like shells.

* "High vigour throws were more often accompanied by uniform or dark body
patterns than other throws." This suggests that the more high-powered the
throw, the more likely it is to be deliberate rather than random.

* "Some throws were directed differently from beneath the arms and such
throws were more likely to hit other octopuses." Yes, they are aiming at
their compatriots.

And to go with that last point, the octopuses that were hit often behaved
in ways you might resort to if someone throws stuff at you. They paused
their movements, or moved away, or raised an arm in that uncannily human
way.

Some ducked.

Of course they did. If there are octopuses that throw things, there have
got to be octopuses that duck. I'd love to know what Ollie Taylor makes of
that.

--
My book with Joy Ma: "The Deoliwallahs"
Twitter: @DeathEndsFun