The recent fire at a paint factory, the worst in Goa’s history, must act as
an eye-opener. Environmental and noise pollution should be a matter of
concern to all. The Government needs to totally ban all fireworks in the
best interests of protecting the wellbeing of the population from air and
noise pollution. Fireworks cause serious air pollution, produce a lot of
garbage and noise, and are a huge disturbance especially for children, the
elderly as well as animals. It causes distress, especially as fireworks can
sound like gunfire and can aggravate a nervous condition. Firecrackers are
in fact a waste of money. Safeguarding our health and protecting the lives
of others should be our priority.

The adverse effects of fireworks on people, animals and property must not
be underestimated. They contain chemical components like saltpetre, carbon
and sulphur. When these are ignited hazardous oxides of gases are emitted
which causes suffocation, reduces visibility, resulting in other health
hazards. Medical experts state that the air gets contaminated with toxic
gases and remains for days.  The toxic elements that reach the lungs,
cannot be removed thereafter and can cause grave health issues. These have
long-term effects on children. They frighten children and adults, cause
fires and terrify pets and wildlife.

The sparkles from fireworks may last a few seconds but the hazardous toxic
air pollution can linger in our environment, towns and cities for many
hours. Such short-lived entertainment does not justify the immediate and
long term damage to our health, wealth and environment.

Our Goa must take the lead by shunning fireworks. We could initiate the
beginning of what would ensure a better environment and cleaning the
atmospheric dirt across the nation. Once a total ban on firecrackers and
fireworks is in place, there should be very rigorous enforcement. People
acting in violation should be severely penalized so that it acts as a
deterrent to all. Let us hope and pray that common sense will prevail and
that fireworks will be banned by the Government for the common good.
Adv. Aires Rodrigues

C/G-2, Shopping Complex

Ribandar Retreat

Ribandar – Goa – 403006