For some reason I was thinking a great deal about Siddarth recently,
thinking I must go see him. I should have taken it as a premonition,
especially after that terrible life-changing collision inflicted on him as
he was returning from Mhadei or Mopa duty. Ever the activist, he took the
mishap in stride. I regret that it is not a reflex for me to check the
obituaries the first thing in the morning or I might have been able to pay
my last respects and say, see you soon, friend, the least one can do in the
circumstances. This premature departure hits all the harder coming so quick
on the heels of that of another stalwart friend and activist at village
level (an activism impelled by Christian notions of right and wrong and the
feeling that he must always lend his support to any fellow-villager in need
of it).
Glad to have known you, Siddarth. Rest in power, amigo!