Over the last few years, the government has been claiming that I am not an
Indian but a Portuguese national. I was born on 24th May 1960 which was
before Goa’s Liberation. So technically I was born Portuguese. As I had
never applied for Portuguese nationality and in order to lay this issue to
rest, last month I travelled to Portugal to ascertain the ground factual
position.

After obtaining a UK and Schengen Visa, I travelled to Portugal via London.
In Lisbon, I met with the very courteous Portuguese authorities who
informed me that I am entitled to a Portuguese Passport. The Portuguese
authorities were however unable to inform me as to who, if any one at all,
had registered me as a Portuguese citizen. I was surprised to note that
many Goan present and former politicians, prominent citizens besides some
government officials are all registered as per the records in Lisbon as
Portuguese nationals. In view of this I was intrigued as to why the Goa
Government singled me out. But it has been a blessing in disguise.

After deep and thoughtful consideration, I decided to opt for a Portuguese
Passport and in accordance with law to surrender my Indian one. Being of
Indian origin my life will continue to be the same except for now being
unable to contest elections, vote or be involved in agricultural land and
farming. Which to me now, in this present scenario is all inconsequential.

As an OCI (Overseas Citizen of India), nothing changes for me on the
professional front. On the contrary, it would enable me to widen my
horizons as I would now be able to attend to legal issues faced by my
fellow Goans and Indians overseas.

Over the years we have seen our fellow Goans pay lakhs of rupees towards
obtaining a Portuguese Passport. Now to me it has come as a free bonanza
enabling me to travel to 188 countries across the world without a Visa. And
having the gregarious Goan Antonio Costa as the Prime Minister of Portugal.
These events would now add another chapter to my memoirs which I am
currently penning.

May I most humbly seek your continued prayers and blessings as I tread this
new path.  I shall always remain a Goan with my Goa and India ever so close
to my heart. My profound gratitude to our Goa and Ribandar in particular,
the great land of my birth and upbringing, which cannot and will never ever
die.
Adv. Aires Rodrigues

C/G-2, Shopping Complex

Ribandar Retreat