I saw the u-tube video on this topic with great interest.  There was more heat
than light! I do not still understand the messages and points of the arguments.
Goans have been migrating in and out of Goa since even before the Portuguese
arrived. They migrated during the Portuguese era and even after they left.
Throughout all these periods, the most frequent cause for migration is personal
economic improvement.  The other factors are wars, famines, pestilences. These
causative factors were active even during the inquisition.  During this period
the rulers of Ikkeri and Keladi in Kanara were offering Goans land to settle
and cultivate.
Because an event (s) occurred during the inquisition, it does not mean the
inquisition caused it. Just like because one leaves Goa today, the Goa or the
Indian governments did not cause it.
While some Goans use the Portuguese passport as an entry to UK and EU; several
Goans and other Indians use the Mideast as an entry to Canada, Australia and
USA.
Tens of thousands of people left Goa in the last two decades for the same
reasons millions left post-independent India to settle in the West. The
moderator claimed he would address this issue later but never did.
The reasons why people in a village respect a family with a relative abroad (as
claimed by a panelist) is because experience shows the diaspora relative sooner
or later elevates the socio-economic standards of the family.
For more information, please read our book - includes several chapters about
diasporas.  Please forward this post to the panelists in the presentation.
Best wishesGilbert LawrenceCo-author: Insights into Colonial GoaPublished by
Amazon and Kindle as paperback and e-book.Available in India, Europe,
Australia, Japan and USAGoan - whose father migrated to Bombay, and then I left
for England and then USA; with every step being a career move.
----------From: Frederick Noronha <fredericknoron...@gmail.com>
Portugal, Goan gateway to the West?
https://youtu.be/AUD4bhbVDWw