* GOANET **** C * O * M * M * U * N * I * T * Y **** E * V * E * N * T *
      Xavier Center of Historical Research  presents  HISTORY HOUR

       TOPIC:  Waste Wise - An Interactive Awareness Presentation
                        on Waste Management in Goa

          SPEAKER:  Clinton Vaz - November 16, 2007 - 5:30pm

                      VISIT: http://tinyurl.com/222757
The sh*t really seems to have hit the fan on Goanet of
late, with the anti-bowel movement gaining ground.

While I completely agree that this is a problem which
needs urgent addressing, I'd like to point out that
this is a relatively minor problem compared to the
larger issues of waste management which plague Goa. I
guess it's just easier to raise a big stink about the
former, because addressing the latter would need to be
aimed at 'people like us'.

Goa has captivated me as it captivates so many with
its myriad enticements -- physical, social and
emotional. But there is certainly one aspect of it
which has been not so pleasant -- the sight of
plastic, glass and other non-biodegradable waste which
litters otherwise beautiful places.

Where we first stayed, in Corjuem, one had to just
wander into the lovely green undergrowth behind the
house, and one would be faced with dumps of broken
tubelights, cardboard cartons, heap upon heap of
plastic bags, tin cans, food packaging, etc. And this,
we found, was a universal phenomenon, especially in
the interior villages (where one assumes, waste
management policies have not kept up with modern-day
consumption patterns and their tendency to create
non-biodegradable waste).

Given the number of people creating the
non-biodegradable waste versus those creating the
stinking but biodegradable type, I think the former
problem is more in desperate need of committed,
intelligent, well-informed people who have the
preservation of the beauty and charms of Goa in their
hearts.

One such person whom I met through Goanet is Clinton
Vaz. His zeal and clarity of purpose will move anyone
who meets him. He is talking about the subject at the
Xavier Centre for Historical Research in Porvorim on
Fri Nov 16 at 5.30 pm.

Aniruddha Sen Gupta
Porvorim

Be a better pen pal.
Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how.
http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/
  • [G... Aniruddha Sen Gupta
    • ... Carvalho
    • ... fredericknoronha
    • ... Aniruddha Sen Gupta
      • ... Frederick [FN] Noronha * फ्रेडरिक नोरोंया